Using a handset with 3.5 MM jack

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Pixel_Outlaw, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Pixel_Outlaw

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    I've often wondered if it is possible to modify an older telephone handset to work with a 3.5mm audio jack. The regular telephone handset acts as both a receiver and speaker. Is is possible to do a wire modification in order to connect the device to a 3.5mm audio jack? It would be really cool to have a retro "Red Phone" attached to my computer. I don't need it to do anything more than act as a speaker and also mic. The base need not work at all. Thanks for any help here gents.

2. Dx3

Jun 19, 2010
    All the telephones I have met use 2 wires. The handsets use 2 wires. That means you can plug them in with a 2 wire connector.

3. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Not direclty, the speaker in a telephone tends to be a high impedance type so you'd need an impedance transformer for that, I'm not sure about the mic itself depends on if it's a dynamic mic or a electret capsule, so it really depends on what the exact speaker and microphone in your handset are, this is not an uncommon project though, a quick search on Google should help you out immensely. I've seen red phones modified into cell phones.

4. Dx3

Jun 19, 2010
    You don't have to put the transformer (or other impedance matching device) in the hole where you want the the jack to go. You can connect the wires and add the transformer later.

5. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    I'm sorry Dx3 but that's funny to even think that you could fit something like that into the jack itself.