Using a DAC with a breadboard

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by phase ghost, Mar 16, 2010.

1. phase ghost

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 3, 2010
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The first device would be exceptionally difficult. It is made for surface mounting and takes a serial input. The second will insert into a breadboard and takes its input in parallel, so switches could function as the inputs.

If price is a constraint, try searching for another DAC with parallel inputs, but a lower number of bits.

3. phase ghost

Mar 3, 2010
    Sorry, I should have mentioned I need it to be a serial input. I used the two examples to highlight the way the pins look.

This one looks like it would do the trick, yes?:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=LTC1448CN8%23PBF-ND

Also, is there terminology for different types of connectors? The first example you mentioned was "surface mount" which I understand. Would the version with the longer pins be referred to as a "through hole" chip? I notice that's how digikey labels resistors that are non surface mount or standard style for lack of a better term.

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It's not the connector, but the type of pins. For breadboard work, through hole is really easier to work with, although adapters to let you use surface mount devices as through hole can be purchased or made. The device you link to is in a DIP 8 package.

5. phase ghost

Mar 3, 2010
    Oh, cool. Now that you mention it, I remember reading about adapters on another thread. I'll go look for some. That might be a better solution in the long run anyways.