Using a big battery in a UPS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by anode505, May 6, 2012.

1. anode505

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I have UPS that needs a new battery (last one only lasted *maybe* two years, kinda sad for a lead acid I'd think since first one lasted over 6)

So I was pondering, since I have them,using a couple of smaller motorcycle/tractor lead acid batteries.

I'd charge them up externally first as not to over tax the UPS. (probably just use one of the tractor bats)

Am I asking for trouble? (both the OEM and tractor are sealed lead acids)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    As long as they are the same type (lead acid) and the same voltage rating, it should work.

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Just bear in mind that unless you use deep cycle batteries, they will be damaged if they are discharged significantly.

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    And yea...maintenance free and gas emission from vehicle lead acids and all tht...u know....should be taken into account on where actually u are planning to put a battery.

5. anode505

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks guys. Figured it would be OK, but wanted the second opinion :)
    As for location, draw etc. Its all cool (I got that part down)
    And for the deep vs standard draw it more for the 1-10 second outages and up to 5 minutes. So even on a non deep cycle I *should* be fine.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Happy to help :)
    Happy to see that you are basically competent.

7. anode505

Thread Starter Member

Apr 21, 2009
    LOL People ask how I leaned electonics. I tell them :

"I got a hand full of parts, some wire, solder, and a fire extinguisher " :)

(guess what was used most? hint: I created a few S.moke E.mitting D.oides over my time )