Using a benchtop power supply

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Trueblue, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Trueblue

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 13, 2013
    I recently bought some beginner electronics books, various components, breadboards, multimeter, and a benchtop power supply. I received the power supply and I am not sure if it is working correctly. I turned it on and the voltage knob works as I would expect. When I try to adjust the current knob to set the maximum current, the screen does not change. Does it need to be under a load or something? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    You need to have a load. Read your manual. It will probably tell you to short the leads, then set the current. Un-short leads after it is set. But read your manual first to verify the procedure.

Trueblue likes this.
  3. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    If you turn the current control to the minimum setting and put something you know would be a heavy load on the output, you will be able to adjust the current. That way, you will be able to protect your projects by limiting the amount of current the supply will be able to provide, while at the same time keeping the voltage output constant. If your project tries to draw more than what you have the supply set for, the output voltage will start to drop off. This is called "foldback" control.

Trueblue likes this.
  4. Trueblue

Mar 13, 2013
    Spinnaker, thanks, I will go try that now. The manual, unfortunately, must have been translated from Chinese into English by someone who does NOT speak English.

Thanks again...

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    What is the model of PS?

6. Trueblue

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks BillB. You and spinnaker helped a lot.

7. Trueblue

Mar 13, 2013
    It is an XPOWER model 305D. It is one of those clone power supplies from China. It only cost $62 on Amazon. I figured I would get it to start until I can settle on one that will meet my needs for the "long run".

8. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I assume this means it is working now? :)

9. Trueblue

Mar 13, 2013
    Yes, thank you very much...