Using a 30KVA 3 phase genset for home

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by crazyzane, May 17, 2015.

1. crazyzane

Thread Starter New Member

May 17, 2015
    Looking at buying a 30kva genset 3 phase for home and needing some help on looking for transformer. I know I need to know data from genset on output which I don't have but assume 480 volts but will find out tomorrow. I know this is not enough but I need to know if I can get help on picking out a transformer after I get info. I know transformers are high but a used one on ebay may be feasible since genset is cheap. Thanks if you can help.

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What is your total anticipated load?
    Max.

3. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    100 amps most likely. house has 200 main but figure well pump, waterheater, ac unit, and misc lights will be no more than that. Have not put pencil to it. Just trying to get idea if it is feasible, can get genset for 1800.00 and trying to get an idea on transformer cost. Thanks for reply.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What country are you in, are you looking for the N.A. 120v-0-120v 1ph supply?
    Max.

5. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Most larger gensets are set up with reconfigurable windings so that they can put out other voltages. Good chance a 30 KVA 480 VAC 3ph unit is reconfigurable for lower output voltages.

6. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    I need to see genset to get more info and I am in Texas.

7. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    You are looking at severe overkill using a 3 phase 480 volt generator for home use. I use a 18 KW 240 Volt split phase to run my entire home and have more than enough left over for neighbors in time of emergency. I also have fully auto start and transfer with my genset running on natural gas. Typical US residential is 240 VAC 60 Hz split phase at point of entry. Taking 3 phase 480 60 Hz and trying to get it to what you have coming in now is not going to be easy and it won't be cheap. I am not saying it can't be done or don't do it but unless this is a top of the line genset being given to you free I would look for a genset made for what you want to do which I assume is power a residence when mains power fails. Once you know all of the nameplate information off the genset it will be much easier to decide on the best approach. For example does it have taps for configuring output voltage? How large (Power Out) is it?

I can go to my local Lowes Home Improvement and buy one of these for under $5,000 complete with a 200 Amp transfer switch. Heck, I can get an additional 10% off using my vet status. More than the average home will likely ever need.

Ron

8. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I would disagree on the 30 KVA capacity being overkill for a home especially if its a larger one with electric heat ora fairly large air conditioning load plus a good deal of other moderate power consuming equipment as well.

For bare essentials emergency backup I can run my whole place off my 1930's Fairbanks Morse 3 KVA genset although it's not much fun but if I want to have full normal operations including my electric water heater, electric stove, electric dryer and normal other stuff running plus play around in my shop to any degree a 30 KVA would not be an unreasonable unit size for me to have and I don't even have electric heat.

9. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Yeah, I agree. I wasn't thinking things like electric heat. You too huh? Before I got a good deal on the current genset I was using a 4KW unit which ran all the lighting and essential medical equipment for my mother-in-law plus the furnace blower. It was a PITA but served well. The new 18 KVA was a good deal as a discontinued model so I grabbed it. It supports everything including the AC but the heat is NG fired. I do not have the clothes drier on it and that is the only thing not on it. Living in Cleveland is bad enough, I damn well know if I was in ND I would have heat, at all cost I would have heat.

I still don't know as I would want to go to 3 phase for emergency power. Just seems it would be a pain to wire in considering the house is likely 240 VAC split phase.

Ron

10. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    I will agree that I can get a 17 kw with transfer switch for a little over 4000. That is why I am trying to get an idea of transformer cost. Genset are from 30 to 100 kw for 1800. I should get a couple to resale.

11. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Good price. What is the fuel?

Ron

12. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    A lot of the smaller KVA 3 phase gensets are also configurable for single phase operation as well.

I have a buddies old 70 KVA 3 phase unit sitting behind my shop and that is configurable for 120/240 single, 120/240 3 ph D, 277 3ph D, and 277/480 3ph Y.

Pile of lugs to work with for all those configurations though. :p

13. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    I should say a 70 kva 480 delta to 208y/120 for 600.00

14. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    I talked to a couple of electricians at work but they are not that familiar with this subject. They seem to think I could use 2 legs of the 120 side to go to service but I am concerned about the 240 v AC and well pump.

15. crazyzane

May 17, 2015
    The gensets are Baldor GLP with GM Vortec 4.6 motor , KW 30, AMPS 45, VOLTS 480 270, KVA 37.5, Can be configured WYE series, WYE parallel, S Delta. I am thinking it is more trouble than it is worth.