using a 12V 66amph battery instead of a 12V 15amph battery

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RVnnan, May 1, 2014.

1. RVnnan

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2014
    hello Every body! :)
    i have an appliance at home which uses a 12V 1.5amp Max. 15amh battery.
    i just wanted to ask whether i can use a 12V 66amh car battery instead. please help!!...
    it is a little bit ergent.
    i wanted to use that 12V 66amh car battery in my amplifier when we go outdoors camping. it seems that it would last much more longer, yes?? :)
    pleaase help

2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Yes, you can.................................................................................

RVnnan likes this.
  3. RVnnan

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2014
    thank you very much, dude, i don't want it to woom, i just want its battery to last a little bit more! :) its original battery last no more than 5 hours, i think if i use a car battery it would last much more?? :)

4. samuel.whiskers

Mar 17, 2014
    4 times as long, give or take.... do note that car batteries are designed for high-current engine starting, rather than low current high drain amplifier running.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes. If you are buying a new battery for this purpose, get a deep cycle type as they will last longer.

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Keep in mind that an automotive battery is not designed for deep-cycle use, which is what you want to do with it. They are designed to output hundreds of Amperes for short periods of time, and then to be immediately recharged by the vehicle's alternator.

Deep-cycle batteries is what you want, as crutschow mentions.

7. Johann

Nov 27, 2006
    Yes, and get yourself a good charger too! You don't want to spend money on a battery without the facility to charge it soon after use.

8. ErnieHorning

Apr 17, 2014

Also keep in mind that a 66amh will weigh more than a 15amh battery. A deep cycle will also weigh than a standard one because the plates are thicker to help prevent warpage during repeated charge and discharge.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Of course, if you have a junk yard behind your house, you can get away with a used car battery. It just won't be the best possible thing for this job.