Using a 1 VFD as 50Hz->60Hz converter for window A/C unit

damiannz

Joined Apr 1, 2010
Hi all, I saw this on an old thread:
Is the purpose of the inverter to operate a 60Hz motor from a 50Hz line?
This is pretty much what I'm trying to do. I have a cheap 500W 115V 60Hz window air conditioner (Frigidaire FRA054XT7), which is wired with the fan+compressor running off the same run cap, no start cap:

The compressor is 115V 60Hz with 4.5A running current, and according to the nameplate, 26A locked rotor current. Domestic supply here is 240V 50Hz. In vain I tried to power this via a 12VDC car-style 800W inverter but, as expected, the inverter cut out when the compressor kicked in.

So I'm considering powering this unit via a single-phase VFD. I'm looking at the Invertek Optidrive ODE-2-22110-1KB42-01 (10.5A rated) or ODE-2-12075-1KB12-01 (7A rated) (http://www.invertekdrives.com/varia.../model-data/datasheet.aspx?mID=ODE-2-12075-1K), both are 185% current rated for 2s. I would consider rewiring the AC so that the compressor and fan are always on in order to make use of the soft-start capabilities of the VFD, but I'm not sure that this will actually work.

Can anyone advise? Will this work, or be even vaguely efficient?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Wouldn't the cost of the drive be comparable to the cost of a new air conditioner with the correct voltage and frequency rating?

damiannz

Joined Apr 1, 2010
Wouldn't the cost of the drive be comparable to the cost of a new air conditioner with the correct voltage and frequency rating?
Yes. Call me stubborn, I want to see if I can do it this way. :) The AC unit has a number of nice features -- mainly, it's very small, low powered, and very light. There's nothing comparable size/weight/power usage available at 240V 50Hz.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Some motors there is not that much difference in performance, obviously run slower on 50hz, I imagine a 2 pole motor for a compressor?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Only if the label says so, and I have never seen a compressor rated for 2 frequencies.
(I probably live a very sheltered life here in the U.S.A.)
Even if the iron doesn't saturate magnetically and overheat, that 16% change in speed comes right off the cooling capacity (it's linear).
From my point of view, it's a very risky, "maybe".

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A 60Hz motor run on 50Hz is almost certain to run overcurrent and overheat very quickly.

A 500W window mount airconditioner is very cheap these days, probably a similar price to a VFD large enough to handle the start current.

Hi.
I recently purchased a used window air conditioner for hot summer days. On the other hand, I'm a bit confused about the exhaust tube and it how it functions concerning the windows.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well yolanda apparently what you need is a VFD to solve your exhaust tube problems. Personally I don't let my drain tube anywhere near windows, as I had a bad experience as a kid, and also I'm not an exhibitionist.