using 8:1 multiplexers to add 4 bit numbers

kingjamesthethird

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Hello

I have been asked to design a cellular logic system that uses two 8x1 multiplexers to add two 4 bit numbers. I can see how to create a full adder but am totally stumped on how to add two 4 bit numbers using only the mentioned mutliplexers. seems impossible!

Any ideas?

would be much appreciated, JJ

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Considering that the sum of two 4 bit numbers is a 5 bit number, and two 8:1 muxs can only produce 2 bits, I'd say you are correct regarding it being impossible.

kingjamesthethird

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Considering that the sum of two 4 bit numbers is a 5 bit number, and two 8:1 muxs can only produce 2 bits, I'd say you are correct regarding it being impossible.
Yes thats what I thought but then I was wondering that perhaps there is a method that involves converting the parallel data inputs into some sequenced answer using the AB inputs as a clock. seems pretty abstract I know. Anyway its good to know i havnt missed something obvious!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Who's asked you to do this and what does it have to do with a cellular logic system?

Are you supposed to do it with ONLY the two multiplexers?

kingjamesthethird

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Who's asked you to do this and what does it have to do with a cellular logic system?

Are you supposed to do it with ONLY the two multiplexers?
Apparently I was not limited to using one cell and therefore could use as many multiplexers as I wanted as long as it was 2 per cell. It was a poorly worded question. Thanks for the help anyways

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Does that mean that you have it figured out?

I'm thinking that your use of the term "cellular" is not what I am taking it to be. Perhaps the term I might be thinking of for what you have in mind is "modular". What is meant by a "cell" in this problem?

kingjamesthethird

Joined Feb 20, 2015
Does that mean that you have it figured out?

I'm thinking that your use of the term "cellular" is not what I am taking it to be. Perhaps the term I might be thinking of for what you have in mind is "modular". What is meant by a "cell" in this problem?
yea I did it. Im no expert but I made 4 full one bit adders (each using 2 8-1 multiplexers) and stuck them together. I think its correct anyway

kingjamesthethird

Joined Feb 20, 2015
basically a cell is part of a circuit that performs a simple operation. when lots of the same cell are attached together each can perform the operation on a particular part of the input and this combination substitutes for a more complicated circuit. thats what i learnt anyway. maybe where you come from they call it modular

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
basically a cell is part of a circuit that performs a simple operation. when lots of the same cell are attached together each can perform the operation on a particular part of the input and this combination substitutes for a more complicated circuit. thats what i learnt anyway. maybe where you come from they call it modular
Thanks. That's the conclusion I was coming to and, yes, here we would use a term like "module" or "subcircuit" instead of "cell", but that is not an unreasonable choice. Since we don't use it, however, I tend to think that you are talking about a "cell" in the same general vein as in a cellular phone system.