User Submitted Videos

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Sparky49, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Sparky49

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I've got a suggestion.

How about an area where users can upload videos of their projects/ideas?

The better ones could be uploaded by a moderator or admin onto an AAC YouTube channel.

Of course, it might be easier if we could embed videos... But there we are.:rolleyes:

Sparky

2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    As we know, there is no way to upload videos in AAC. Only links can be posted.

About the video collection, well, wouldn't it be a bit incoherent? What would it be about?

I wish we could upkeep a Youtube channel, but I don't see a content able to support it.

3. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I think it could be about anything.

My thinking is that there is no channel on YouTube labelled as 'educational'. If AAC were to make its own YouTube channel, it could upload some of its ebook videos to attract more visitors.

Also, a series or two could be organised. How about members create a video on a project they have created, and the best are uploaded?

I think this would encourage more activity in the completed projects section, which is one of the quietest parts.

I'm still thinking this through exactly, but I'm 99% sure it would work out great. :)

4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Also, Vbulletin does support embedded YouTube videos.

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    No one said it didn't. But it has to be coded into the forum. No one can do this but Dave and jrap, and noone knows when they will be up to the task.

Other than that, think about how such a channel could work. I 'm interested in the idea.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    Sparky49 likes this.
  6. jtrent

Mar 11, 2012
    If you want to upload your videos of electronic projects/ideas, you can do so here as embed videos, then put a link to it if you want to.

7. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Perhaps...

Have an AAC email (something free like gmail), and give some selected mods/admins access to it.

People can create videos for their projects. These would be almost like a video form of the completed projects section. The video can show whatever it wants to, but the better ones are uploaded.

If you're wanting some structure, themes could be organised. Once or twice a year, admin can create a theme for others to work with - for example power supplies. Then a closing date is given, and all video entries must be submitted by that date.

Then the better videos are uploaded.

You could even have an annual competition. The person with the most views/likes wins something relevant. I suspect it wouldn't be hard to convince a company to donate a $100 power supply in return for some advertising on the channel. 5 seconds at the beginning of every entry or whatever.

These are all ideas which could really increase the profile of AAC, both from the general public and companies.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I would like to be able to embed videos. I have made some of my own for various projects.

Not too sure of the advertising though. This site is spammed constantly, we are kept on our toes to eliminate it, yet it remains spam free. Speaking for myself, I like it that way.

shortbus likes this.
  9. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Oh yes, keep this website ad free.

But I'm sure that on our YouTube videos, if we wanted to run a competition with a prize, then it wouldn't do any harm to have a 5 second ad to a manufacturer who donates a prize?

10. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You are touching issues very hard to organize, and to be honest, it's only us mods for now. We are not authorized to take such initiatives.

It pains me to admit it, but it's the truth.

11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I'd love to see some Loosie videos. Just bought some popcorn.

loosewire and Sparky49 like this.
  12. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    What made you think of Loosewire,I am already on u-tube..they just didn't

make it here yet. I could get some one to up link them..It would help if you got

back on board..."I want to grow up to be Loosewire"that may have had me

post my picture. You didn't take me up on free beach parking...27 ct remember.

13. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
  14. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You guys are imbeded in my stuff, who crashed my site.........................

16. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    The real stuff is out there,good luck,what that game ( hot and Cold )luke.

17. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Even if the competition side is a bit too much, surely creating a YouTube Channel wouldn't be too hard?

Even uploading the occasional video would take only a couple of minutes.

18. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Managing an "AAC youtube channel" would get tedious. People would have to send their (possibly several hundred MB) videos to a mod to have them uploaded, or else the mods would have to give out the user name/password to users which has the potential for misuse. We have a completed projects index thread. Several users have their own youtube channels. Perhaps an index thread for users' own youtube videos?

Again, that may be tedious. Especially for a mod who already has his hands full and may not be 100% on board with the video index thread idea. Nothing says a mod has to be the one to update the thread. Sparky you seem pretty intent on having such a thing, maybe you should just start the thread yourself. People could just send you links to their videos and you could categorize/alphabetize, and list them yourself. Mods could make it a sticky.

Sparky49 likes this.
  19. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I'd be up for that.

20. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Mods, is this okay with you?

If it is then I'll start and manage the thread.