User name limitations?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I noticed one maybe two new users that have their email address as their user name. This is a very bad practice on the user's part.

Not only would it be an invasion of privacy but it becomes a real magnet for spammers.

Maybe we would be protecting people from themselves but I was thinking that user names that look like email addresses should be prohibited.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Changing usernames is rarely done.
Changing usernames can also lead to misunderstandings.
It can only be done by the administrators Dave and jrap.
If you want to change the username you can send them a PM with arguments why you want to change the name.
One of the occasions the change is allowed is when you entered your e-mail address as a username, then it will often be approved to be changed.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hello,

Changing usernames is rarely done.
Changing usernames can also lead to misunderstandings.
It can only be done by the administrators Dave and jrap.
If you want to change the username you can send them a PM with arguments why you want to change the name.
One of the occasions the change is allowed is when you entered your e-mail address as a username, then it will often be approved to be changed.

Bertus
I think his intent was to avoid it to begin with--to not allow members to use their email addresses as screen names when they first create an account. I absolutely agree with this--they're only opening themselves up to spam, harassment, and/or (in a worst-case scenario) identity theft. If something could be added to the "create an account" screen, saying not to use email addresses as usernames, I think it would be very beneficial.

Regards,
Der Strom