Useful car projects.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey,
I wanna take a project this summer and since i'm into cars, i wanted it to involve my car, meaning to use the car's battery as power supply.

At first i thought of building up a laptop charger to have my laptop charged from the car's battery, which is nice i think, but turns out to be not that simple.
So i'd love to hear your ideas :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
maybe a temperature sensor? or a led lighting solution (for the instrument panel for example)?

BrianH

Joined Mar 21, 2007
If you're into 4x4s, I've recently encountered a problem which can be solved with electronics and I've added it to my "projects to do" list. Basically I own a Land Rover Discovery and I've just fitted tyres that are significantly larger than stock. Now the speedometer is inaccurate, and it occurrs to me that I could design a project that would accept the speed sensor as an input and then output an accurate calculated speed, depending on the size of tyre - which perhaps the user could enter, allowing them to upgrade to different tyres at a later date and just enter a new size to account for it.

I'm not suggesting you design a project to solve this for me of course - I'm quite capable of doing that myself. But since you're asking for ideas, this is a real world problem you could solve :)

Brian

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
LOL, thanks Brian.

Actually, i just have this humble private, not this monster you described :)
I thought of building up things that you can use when going out with the guys or your girl and such.
Thats how i reached this laptop charger.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
maybe a temperature sensor? or a led lighting solution (for the instrument panel for example)?
Hey, sorry i missed your post somehow.
as i said in the other post, i was thinking about useful and fun stuff ;)
I mean, leds are nice but i dont think i could use them for something :)

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hey,
I wanna take a project this summer and since i'm into cars, i wanted it to involve my car, meaning to use the car's battery as power supply.

At first i thought of building up a laptop charger to have my laptop charged from the car's battery, which is nice i think, but turns out to be not that simple.
So i'd love to hear your ideas :)

Thanks.
Is there anything about the car's performance you would like to monitor?

hgmjr

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
There's someone that posts in another forum I frequent, what he did was map out the solar system in the headliner of his car with leds. With the seats in the recline position he and his girl could go star gazing by simply looking up at his headliner. The leds of course would twinkle like stars for added effect.