Use of a rf transistor

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think so, but I wouldn't spend $40 for a transistor unless I knew how high the operating frequency needs to be.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is an old aphorism in RF design that the best way to design an oscillator is to start with an amplifier. It doesn't even have to be a high gain amplifier.:eek:

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
It is an old aphorism in RF design that the best way to design an oscillator is to start with an amplifier. It doesn't even have to be a high gain amplifier.:eek:
Some of you old farts should take some time to compile a list of all the aphorisms that have stood the test of time into a single thread!

That way us young ones can learn a thing or two!:D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Some of you old farts should take some time to compile a list of all the aphorisms that have stood the test of time into a single thread!:D
I have several to contribute, but the list would require somebody to manage it so it doesn't finish up cluttered with discussion and duplicates.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Can you use an RF Bipolar Power TRANSISTORS in an astable multivibrator circuit?

These have a higher operating frequency.

Like found here?

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductor...rs-RF/Transistors-RF-Bipolar-Power/_/N-ax2g6/
You can, but they aren't particularly fast in such an application. For fast switching you need a transistor optimized for switching, which is doped to reduce the storage time, such as the 2N2369. RF transistors don't have this doping and thus have a longer storage time, even though they are fast for RF applications operating in the linear region, where storage time is not a factor.

Last edited: