Use batteries in series, but charge in paralell simoultaniously

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by electronis whiz, Jun 14, 2014.

1. electronis whiz

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    I had an idea the other day, but for it to work I need to find some way to store power for use, but also simultaneously charging it.

My idea for safety reason has to be low voltage, but what would be run is higher voltage. My thought was storage of some sort conventional device or maybe large Caps.

I want the low voltage to come in, and charge the storage system, while the storage system also has power drawn from it. The need for higher voltage output makes it need to be series wired. However the desire to charge everything simultaneously needs a parallel charge setup.

I think this could be done with diodes fairly easily especially if use capacitor arrays.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No. Build 2 completely separate chargers. One for each battery. Be careful not to get all your commons connected together.

3. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm referring more to cells than batteries. Think like say you want 12V take 8 1.5V cells in series=12V. However to charge those cells I would want 1.5V input then be fed into the cells. Could either be done in some sort of a rotating pattern cell 1,2,3, etc. but think be simpler to find a way with diodes or something possibly to make it so they will all charge off the 1.5V input, while still putting out the intended 12V.

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    1001...............................................................................................
    See post #2 @ #12

5. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    Ok so it don't sound like it's really possible, I just thought maybe was a misunderstanding, and was trying to correct it.

6. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    It is possible.:D Just not the way you want.

As cells cannot be is series and parallel at the same time.

I question why you want to do this.
    It would keep the cells equalized I guess!

Can't see any safety reason.

As #12 said, use separate chargers for each cell.

Or you can have one charger that cycles, and charges one cell at a time.

7. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    What I was thinking. This is kind of concept for part of a thing I came up with. I want something to move, but I also want it to get some power for better run time than just a charge and go. My concern is the system of providing power to the moving object should be low voltage. So should somebody come in contact with there not electrocuted. The motor could run on higher voltage, but I'm using 12V for example purposes.

I suppose in future progress on design I could figure out something. 3V could work safely too, and charge 2 cells in series. 12 V is most I'd want to do probably. somebody touched 12V more than likely they wouldn't even feel a thing due to ohms law, etc.

8. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    The full battery voltage is available across certain points even if you charge cells individually.

Depending on the situation, a battery bank could be referenced to ground at a center tap. Limiting maximum potential to ground.

9. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    It sounds like you are limited to low DC voltages to charge with. In the DC charging world you can not have batteries in parallel and series at the same time.
    Consider leaving the batteries in series and use a switching boost regulator to up convert your low voltage DC to higher voltage DC to charge with.

Mark

10. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    could be a good idea too. I honestly didn't think about ground DUH. I know subways are electric trains, use 3rd rail for power I don't know what grounds them same thing with airily powered trains. I would think it would have to ground through the tracks, but I think there made of steel which isn't really an ideal conductor, I suppose is big enough though to handle many hundreds of amps, and surface area would get rid of heat.

11. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    You could do it with something like a switched capacitor equalizer where you charge the first cap from your charger supply then it gets switched across the next battery then that one charges its own cap and is then placed across the next battery and so on. But much more complicated than just raising the voltage to charge the whole string.