USB TV Controller.

Jpaytoncfd

Joined Mar 11, 2009
ok, I feel this should be simple but It never is. I need a USB device that will turn my tv on or off based on which state it is in already. The power LED is a 2 color. one input for on and one for standby. and then the power button which toggles. What I need is for a device that will look at which output is active (on or standby) and take the proper action. For example I turn the computer on, the device looks to see which output is active. If its standby then it will close the power button contacts for a second. if the ON output is active then it will do nothing. This could be self powered as well. making the TV mimic the computer using one of the power leads to see if the computer is on or not. any help or suggestions would be apperiated.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Detecting a bicolour LED is a bit tricky. You would need to make a colour sensitive light sensor and attach it over the LED.

I won't suggest attaching anything to the wiring inside the TV as that is LIVE VOLTAGES and DANGEROUS!

Maybe you could plug into an AV output (either A or V) and detect that the TV is sending out a signal. That would be a good indicator that the TV is running, and AV inputs are required to be at ground potential (safe to touch).

Jpaytoncfd

Joined Mar 11, 2009
I'm not afrade to go inside the TV. It is a rear projection and mostly low voltage except the bulb driver. the power switch pannel has 2 different inputs for red and green. I had planed on wireing this in. I could just use a series of relays, the on pulse would go through a relay that is NC and controled by the on light. so the the on light is lit the relay is open and the on pulse does nothing but if it isint then the on pulse closes the power circut and turns the TV on. Same for the off pulse. so then I would just need sonething to put out pulses when the somputer turns on and off.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Does the TV have a remote.

U can I think cook up an IR driver to actually control the TV without opening it up

Jpaytoncfd

Joined Mar 11, 2009
That would be too easy :p lol. Actually that would work great but if the tv turns on or dosent turn off or what ever then there is the pain trying to fix it. I forgot to mention that I am doing this because I am mounting a mini-itx board inside the tv. Making the TV and all in one PC.

Jpaytoncfd

Joined Mar 11, 2009
ok, I want the TV to turn on and off with the computer that is built in. The power button on the tv has several inputs. there is a +5v when the tv is on (for the on light) and a +5v when its in standby (for the standby light) then there is a +5v that goes to the power button. which grounds that +5v when pressed. the power only toggles though. one press on, same press off. so if the TV is on and the computer is off when the computer is turned on if it only blasts an IR signal than the TV will shut off. so I want it to sense the 2 inputs for the LEDs to decide if it should close the power contact or not.