USB to Serial adaptor - Cheap!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by maxpower097, May 5, 2010.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So hears the dealio! A bud who works for a electonics recycling company has a bunch of USB to serial adaptors. They are Cables 2 Go Port Athority 2 USB to serial adaptors. 13 inches I believe. I think this is the link.
    http://pc.pcconnection.com/1/1/1528...usb-1-port-serial-db9-adapter-13in-26886.html
    Anyways he's got tons and says he'll sell em to me NIB for $1 each if I pick them up. I'm gonna grab a couple for myself but would be happy to get 10 or 20 if anyone else want some. I think I could probably open it up and ship just the cable for about $1.50 so total price would be $2.50 each in the lower 48. Please post if your interested and I'll try to get some tomorrow.
    Thanks
    Your bud maxpower097

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    before you go further on this. Do you have driver for those. And will this driver be compatible with xp,vista,win7. But otherwise your offer is not that bad.
    I am saying this just as heads up ;)

3. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    From what I have seen it will definately work with 98 > XP, I also saw on another site it said WIN 7 compatible, can't say for sure though. They are brand new retail in the box so I'm sure they come with a driver CD. I'll get 10 to play with and test in anycase so I should have 6+ for sale. I really just want to get a feel if anyone will be needing one. I'm not trying to make money but I see people asking for them all the time. If there are 15-20 responses tomorrow I'll grab 20-30 if I can. They are selling fast. If 3 or 4 want them I'll probably grab 20 and just hold them for future members if they need one.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    If its no driver issue. Then I think it is good offer to the members of this site. I live in Europa so I can not use the offer.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009

Well, move to the US.

...wait... think about that.

6. Razor Concepts

Oct 7, 2008
    If it works with PICAXE that would be a steal :D

7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    If you want a couple and don't mind paying shipping I'll send you some. I think if it were sent snail mail to europe it wouldn't be too bad. I'm gonna try to get some in hand today so I'll let you know.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Ok I have them in hand. I bought 10 of them. They are:
    USBtoSERIAL adaptor , Port Authority 2, Cables 2 GO. They are actually pretty heavy. There is a big circuit board in the RS-232 plug. Cable is about 13 inches with USB on one end and Male DB9 on the other. They are brand new in the retail box. They have the cable in an anti static bag, CD, and instruction sheet. I'll try to take some pics later but for now I'm keeping 3 or 4 so 6 or 7 are up for grabs. Just $1 + you pay actual shipping. Thanks.

Ok I installed it and XP recognized it as a USB serial adaptor. Then asked to install new hardware. I then ran the disc and it installed fine. Tomorrow when I have time I'll test it out on my Explorer 16 and the virtual terminal to see if she works right. It also has Windows 7 drivers for download on their site, shows a different box but the PN is the same.
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=101&sku=26886
    If anyone with WIN7 wants one I'll give you your $1 back if it doens't work. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Ok heres a summary of what I can get if anyone needs it. Everything is $1 plus you pay actual shipping.

Cables to Go USB2Serial adaptor PN#26886 NIB
    Normal USB Cable 6ft. NIB
    Male DB9 to RJ45 6 inch, NIB
    Mini USB cable

I don't know how much this other stuff is but I can price it for you. I'm sure its only a dollar or two also but I didn't ask.

Parrallel Cables NIB
    VGA cable for computer NIB
    SCART? cable for computer NIB (the other monitor cable type on your gpu)
    Power Cables of all types.
    DC power supplies and wall warts of all types and sizes from printers, ----routers, servers, and about anything else electronics related.
    Switches, routers, cheap Graphics cards, Old commercial laser printers like ----HP 2200d and 2300d, diallogic 4 line phone cards,etc.. etc... etc...
    Memory and all kinds of crazy circuit boards that may have salvage use if you can de-solder.

I'm not trying to make a bunch of money off this stuff or anything I just want to help the community. If I can make a buck here and there I wouldn't bitch but I'm probably more likely to give stuff away to people who need it then actually make money. Anyways if you need any of this kinda stuff please let me know and I'll see if I can get you it for a deal. Ok I won't post again till I have more info on the adaptors working with pics. :) thanks
    Max

Oh and I'm also always open to trades. I'd love an ATTiny to play but would be interested in any type of MCU's. Also would like resistor, capacitor, LED, and anything good for the parts bin. I have other stuff to trade so I'll post it all on my personal page later if anyone wants to do some swappin!.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    maxpower097, just wanna say thanks for the great deal. Works like a charm. It even works with the very shaky VELLEMAN 8048. Now that says something. NOTHING works with that.

I cant believe people are paying $25+ for these things and they dont work for programmers half the time.

Do you still have any left? I wanna get one for my laptop case.

11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    No problem at all Retched I'm glad it worked out for you. I got a few more so I got another for your laptop, just PM me for details like last time.

Also I will be giving out 2 free M27C1001 PLCC32 OTP EPROM to each person that gets one. Not like thats a big deal but I got a bunch with no use for them. Shipping in the retail box came to $1.90. So If you want one I would expect to pay $3-$4 shipped in the box or about $2-$3 if you just want the cable and CD with no box.
    Thanks guys. .