USB to RJ45 Converter

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Abazeed, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Abazeed

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Hi all : )

I want to make a converter that convert USB 2.0 to RJ45

can any one tell me what circuit design I need to follow ? and is it competable with windows 7/8/8.1 ?

thanks in advance

;)

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    USB has 4 pins, 2 Power pins and 2 Data pins. RJ45 has 8 pins, usually 4 twisted pairs. You don't need any circuitry, just connect the pins the way you want. Now you have USB on RJ45 for what purpose?

I hope you were not asking for a USB to Ethernet conversion, that would be a much taller order.

3. Abazeed

Oct 22, 2014
    Thanks Papabravo

I tried your method, but it move no data, just power

I need it to connect the internet dongle to laptop using cat5e

some thing do like this one:
    [​IMG]

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    What do you mean you tried my method? You didn't tell me what you were trying to do. I have no idea what the devices in the picture are capable of doing or why you would use one of them. You can't connect an Ethernet cable (RJ45) to a USB port with nothing inside except wire and expect internet connectivity. Is your purpose to create an Ethernet to USB converter? If so, that is a considerable design challenge. I'd be willing to bet a small fortune that you can't design and build one cheaper than you can buy one if that is in fact what they are.

5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    That is an extender set ... with this description
    http://www.dx.com/p/usb-cable-via-rj45-extender-set-pair-123484#.VEfRnqR0yM8

They will not do what you need to do.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    So a question for OP. Do you want to extend the distance from a USB device to a laptop using CAT-5 cable?

If so you may or may not be able to make it work. The reason that the USB specification restricts cable length is for signal integrity, and to put a maximum upper bound on signal timing which is part of the protocol. For the power pair, the IR drop on a long cable may render the peripheral device with insufficient voltage to power up. That doesn't even account for the common mode ground difference.

All in all this is a stunningly bad idea on so many levels.

7. Abazeed

Oct 22, 2014
    thanks all, it doesn't about price and coast, I want to build on do the same function as the one at the picture and the one that JoeJester linked,

I know it's not that easy, but I need the perfect circuit design, I designed some but non of them was recognized to windows

8. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I actually doubt that it is possible to do this. USB 2.0 needs to work at 480 Mbps. That is pretty tough to do over 50 meters of cable even on a cool dry day in Northern Virginia.

If you are a clever fellow and succeed in doing this then you can come back and prove me wrong. So have at it.

9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    What happened to your requirement ...
    good luck. I'm out of this thread.