USB Powered Speaker/Amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by luvv, Jan 31, 2012.

1. luvv

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2011
    Hello AAC,

Looking for a lil help to figure out which is the power pair on the board, and possibly I.D the chip .

The board came from a usb powered speaker given to me by a friend already extricated from its housing and plug.

He has hopes of modding it to boost the output from a tiny mp3 player .

Rather that is plausible or not i don't know,but as always im willing to give it a go.

Any info is appreciated,and if you have a easy cheap way to boost output from a mp3 player on battery power, love to hear it

2. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
    Power pair, V+ and V- in your second picture. +5v. Not much current from a USB port, though. Like a quarter to a half an amp, max?

The chip you can probably google and find out more than I know off the top of my head...but if those wires are what goes to the chip, it is a USB controller chip, or a microcontroller with USB module, or........

3. luvv

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2011
    Thanks PaulEE,

But erm, there is no V- only V+,D+,D-,PG,SG i know nothing about usb wiring protocals but kinda figured the V+ shared a common ground w/ D+ being D-.

Just wanted to confirm it b4 i hit it w/ 5v.

I have Google'd the chip only to get some random non related stuff, was hopeing someone here had some strong Google-Fu and could find it.

Assumed it was a Amplifier chip as it has a volume up and down buttons on the same board along w/ a beefy speaker im not sure a basic pc sound card could power.

Thanks again =)

4. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
    Educated guess: "PG" = power ground; "SG" = signal ground

If you plug the usb cord into a computer and measure the voltages, you will probably find +5v between +5v terminal and "PG"...

I'll look into the chip

5. PaulEE

Dec 23, 2011
  6. luvv

Thread Starter Member

May 26, 2011
    Thanks again PaulEE
    Your Google-Fu is indeed powerful =)

PaulEE likes this.