usb port connection

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by opk.bob, Sep 19, 2012.

1. opk.bob

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    i want to know how usb port connection is interface with usb device
    ie power to the device data input and output.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
  3. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    You're in for a very very long read.
    The physical specification are quiet simple, the transfer protocol and enumeration methods required are.... Very complex. The USB 2.0 specification is over 650 pages long.

Full specifications can be found here.
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    <shrug> Never read it, but I've done several USB based apps.

Of course, a good code library is my best friend.

5. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    I have done 2 USB projects using readily available code as the basis.

waitingforfriday.com has a few USB projects and supplies circuit diagrams and software.

6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    If the OP is trying to know about the power side of the USB connection, thats is not as difficult as the transactions involved.

7. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
  8. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    The article is also incorrect. The standard allowance for USB ports is 100ma before enumeration regardless of it's version, to get more power out of a port a bus protocol request must be made regardless of USB version. USB 3.0 and USB on the go apparently after enumeration allow up to 1.8amps to be drawn only for power usage, 1.5amps is the limit if the communication lines are still used and that's only for low speed communication. High speed prohibits anything more than 100ma on the power lines during communication

Virtually every wall adapter and a large portion of USB root devices technically violate the USB specs when used as a charging port, and that doesn't even account for voltage variations.

9. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Would you please site a source for your information. If you are going to contridict an official source you should list credible evidence to back up your statement.

10. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    The power is simply about 5 volts (usually between 4.8 and 5.2), and different versions are able to source different amounts of current. I once heard that 1.0 can source 100mA, 2.0 200mA, and 3.0 300mA, but I have since learned that it isn't that simple. But you get the idea, anyway.

The device drivers you install on your computer are what read the data on the USB port and tell the computer what to do from there.