USB PC Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CVMichael, Jun 12, 2012.

1. CVMichael

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 3, 2007
    I want to get a USB Oscilloscope, but I can't decide what to get.
    I found on the net a few, with very different price ranges, and features.

I am looking at QA100, BitScope 120, and PicoScope 3000

The features that I'm looking for are: 2 channels, Bandwidth (at least 100MHz), memory (buffer depth), and at least one digital trigger (logic channels to trigger on)

I would like to get the PicoScope 3206B, but the price is... well, let's just say that I will have to lie when someone asks me how much it was.

I like the QA100 for the price, but I don't like that the bandwidth is only 25MHz, and also that this product is very new, and not popular yet (or is it?)
    I like that it has 10 bit ADC, and 12 channel logic analyzer, and nice buffer depth.

The BitScope 120... I don't know what I like about it lol .... because it's popular I guess?

The PicoScope, I'll probably go for the 3205A (because the others are way expensive). Well, I like everything about it... (except price of course), it has a logic trigger (the EXT external trigger), 100MHz Bandwidth

Any other scopes that are similar?
    What do you think I should get?

2. jwilk13

Jun 15, 2011
    Ultimately, that's your decision and it really depends on what you're wanting to do with it. If there are certain specifications and capabilities that you absolutely NEED, then you know better than us.

I use and somewhat recommend this scope from USB Instruments. The software is somewhat clunky, but it's only $200 as opposed to $1300+ for the PicoScope. I haven't used the others so I'm not sure how they compare, but this one can do the simple stuff. We have a BK Precision 2540B that I prefer to use, but the Stingray is good enough for looking at signals.

3. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    Pick one that you can afford at this time. If your needs are greater than its capabilities, sell that one and buy the next more affordable -- when you feel that you can afford it. Best of luck, always.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    At that price you may want to consider a stand-alone oscilloscope. Or do you plan on using the computer to do a lot of signal processing?

5. CVMichael

Aug 3, 2007
    I will always have a computer around me, and I like that I can save the data captured. Also, I can't imagine looking at those tiny screens, I am used to my computer screens at 24".
    Sometimes I analyze the data with my own programs. I am a programmer, electronics is my hobby. I am also considering that maybe at some point I will use the API of the oscilloscope to get data directly into my application.

I also have an LA1034 Intronix Logic Analyzer that I use for PIC18, and lately PIC32 projects.
    I tried to "convert" my Logic Analyzer into an Oscilloscope (See this), but because it has only 2048 samples per channel, the analog window is way too small, especially when there is a lot of noise in the signal.

I tried to search on the net for oscilloscopes, but others are either too expensive, or the features are way too low.
    I thought maybe you guys can give me more options?

So again, the features that I'm looking for are: 2 channels, Bandwidth 100MHz or more, memory (buffer depth) enough to get a good "window" of data, and at least one digital trigger.

6. CVMichael

Aug 3, 2007
  7. ejwt

Aug 13, 2012
    Can you give us a short overview of how you like the MSO-9201? Did you get the logic pod with it? How is the software?

8. CVMichael

Aug 3, 2007
    I did not use the device as much as I hoped too, I only used the basic features so far.

Yes, I got the logic pod with it.

The device itself I would give it a 10 out of 10. Sampling rate 500MSa/S, 200MHz bandwidth, and memory 512K, that's pretty awesome!

The software I would give it a 7.5 out 10 (that's because I could not decide if it's a 7 or a 8 out of 10 :D )

At first I wrote the things I don't like about the software, but then I read your question again, and I realized... it's not what you asked for: "Can you give us a short overview of how you like the MSO-9201?"

I think I need to use it a few more months so I can have a better idea of what I like/dislike about it.