USB micro plug alternatives?

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
Hello guyz, could you please help me with one delicate question? The thing is, I have been developing a device, which has quite a miniature size and it operates from a 12v battery, which needs to be charged occasionally. I tried to find a suitable receptacle. Since ordinary circular are too big I thought about using something like micro USB. Works fine and the size is very small. But the idea is, I am afraid that some silly user may plug it in to his computer and burn everything. So is there any connector and a receptacle on the Earth, which is not bigger, than a micro USB, but is not micro USB?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If you have room for it, you could add a DC/DC step up converter to your circuit so you can charge from the very common 5V micro USB? This allows USB charging too.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
What size will work?

Micro usb ~2mm X 7mm

Molex has a simple two circuit header plug. ~5mm X 6mm
Some of the mini-sized Chinese test equipment uses similar.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
I decided to use an "ideal diode", found this one - LTC4358 the only one I managed to find with such high voltages. Just decided to post here, perhaps somebody else may have need in such a device.

Skfir

Joined Aug 19, 2010
found by the way, one connector, in case anybody needs - almost as small as microusb, 3A rating - MQ172-3PA