usb instrumentation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by anuj1504, Oct 4, 2012.

1. anuj1504

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 4, 2012
    I am very new to electronics and dont have much knowledge on the project i am allocated with, so i hope to get some help here.
    my project requires me to use a microcontroller (should not be an arduino) to digitize the data received by gyro sensor and communicate it over usb.
    i have to keep lowest possible budget for the project.
    the main question here is which sensor and microcontroller should i use.
    i have seen some 3 axis sensors at farnell.com which cost approx 9 pounds but they provide digital output.
    but the project requires the micro controller to digitise the process. The analog sensors cost around 40-50 pounds, can someone also let me know where to fing cheap gyro sensors with analogue output

I would be happy to receive any help on sensors and compatible microcontrollers.
    Thanks in advance.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Maybe your professor is out of date. Go with the digital sensor that is less expensive. You still have to do some substantial work to get the data from the sensor to the micro and over USB to a PC. Convince your teacher that this is the way to go.

3. anuj.1504

Dec 9, 2011
    i have been given a mplab starter kit for pic18 mcu.(PIC18F46J50)
    the starter kit board comes with an integrated debugger.
    can anyone tell me what kind of a gyro can i connect to it and how can that be done?
    there is no issue of the gyro interface, it can be analogue or digital.

4. vortmax

Oct 10, 2012
    check your data sheets.

According to the sheet for the PIC18F46J50, it has 2 MSSP ports which support SPI and I2C as well as on board ATDs. So you could use virtually any analog gyro through the ATDs or an SPI or I2C digital gyro. With that info, start browsing the various companies that make gyro's and look at their data sheets until you find one that matches.

The data sheets will also tell you how to hook things up.