USB for AVR

rufio

Joined May 31, 2010
hello again freinds.....i want to make a programmer for AVR using USB input from my LAPTOP...I DO NOT WANT TO BUY AN ALREADY DESIGNED PROGRAMMER OF THIS TYPE as suggested in most of the forums...how do i go about it...

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
..I DO NOT WANT TO BUY AN ALREADY DESIGNED PROGRAMMER OF THIS TYPE...
As with many things in real life, one cannot make a similar product cheaper and better.

You need to tell us why you would want to build one instead of buying one.

You probably don't realized that a USB programmer usually requires a PIC or AVR which itself must be programmed with the required binary code first before they can work to program other MCUs.

rufio

Joined May 31, 2010
AYou probably don't realized that a USB programmer usually requires a PIC or AVR which itself must be programmed with the required binary code first before they can work to program other MCUs.
i dint get u..can u help me understand the concept....it wil be a great help...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
This is like a chicken and egg paradox. In order to build a USB programmer, you need to program a microcontroller as the control unit in the USB programmer. It will be an interesting project. But in the end you will find out that the sum of money you used at the DIY programmer will be pretty much the same as the cost of a simple commercial one. It is hard to beat mass production. Besides I suspect that both Microchip and AVR sell the hobbyist programmer with very little profit.
So why do you net want to buy one?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If you have a friend that has a AVR programmer, you can program a chip to do the USB communications.

And with the AVRs thats support ICSP, the programmer you build with the help of a friends programmer can communicate with USB then ICP the target chip.

rufio

Joined May 31, 2010
@t06afre----------because i would like to know the actual working of the USB programmer..the practical problems...and will LUV to make it work myself...

microjean

Joined Jan 27, 2010
You can use an USB to RS232 converter (like FTDI 232R) and the serial programmer used by Pony Prog (software and schematics on site, freeware , no microcontroller needed).