Usb Foot switch

Soundshark

Joined Jul 19, 2009
Hi

I have posted another qustion regarding this project and another issue but this could solve the problem all together :)

Iv built a proto type foot switch for starting stoping and skiping tracks in a media program when im singing on stage using an old keyboard controller. Now it works well but the computer sees it as a keyboard obviusly :) and all the comands the computer recives are recived as key storkes which can cause some issues with some programes ( hence the other post regarding driver editing)

Now the other option i have is to build my own 3 button controller from scratch iv done some digging and as of yet found no details on how to do this everyone just sugests using existing game pads and existing units. Could someone please help me with building a unit from scratch

Thanks anthony

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
If you reduce your old keyboard controller down to 3 keys, and that doesn't work, what then do you require as input from your device that would represent the 3 functions?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Perhaps use a USB numeric keyboard as used for a laptop.

Reduce the number of keys to your needs.

Greetings,
Bertus

Soundshark

Joined Jul 19, 2009
yeah thats what i have done i have removed the contoller from the keyboard and soldered 3 push to makes switches to it creating 3 key strokes which i can then assighn functions in the software i use so it works great but if there is anything else open that uses thouse keys it will input 2,3 or a space depending on the function i use im currently trying to develop my own driver that will allow me to load the controler as a custome device but if that fails id like to build a whole controler from scratch mainly just so i can say i have and its my own device not just another companies guts lol in my case

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
you could use one of many controllers that have USB device capabilities, then emulate the USB's HID class (of which keyboards fall under), then do the same thing.

All the USB device capable manufacturers that I am aware of offer software that will perform such functions.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, a keyboard is kinda universal!
I'd look at an Arduino board, or a Parallax Stamp. The code would be relatively simple:

Loop
..Read Port
..Debounce Port
..Decode Port
..Send Info to Computer
..Wait for Key Release
End Loop

You can decide if you want to allow simultaneous key presses or not. You should also consider if you want repeating keys or nnnnot. The PC program will need to read the port (RS-232 or USB) and take action on what it receives.

HTH,
--Rich

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Hey I have built an IR remote control reciever for PC on USB using a circuit I found over the net.. Its a cool and interesting project and I enjoyed a lot building it... It is based on the Atmel AT90S2313 microcontroller and with a bit modifications, you could easily turn it into a wired device utilizing USB for commands.. The commands are controlled by a software program called girder and the drivers for this device are also available on this site.. If you find this circuit complex, you could try using the RS232 version of the same project which only uses a TSOP 1738 for IR reception and a zenner and resistor.. You can mod it and wire it or for some hi tech, you could make your whole project wireless using IR.. The software can emulate exisiting keys, automate programs or generate any new command for any code recieved.. It was originally meant for a multimedia home theatre PC.. Give it a shot..

www.cesko.host.sk

Soundshark

Joined Jul 19, 2009
Hey I have built an IR remote control reciever for PC on USB using a circuit I found over the net.. Its a cool and interesting project and I enjoyed a lot building it... It is based on the Atmel AT90S2313 microcontroller and with a bit modifications, you could easily turn it into a wired device utilizing USB for commands.. The commands are controlled by a software program called girder and the drivers for this device are also available on this site.. If you find this circuit complex, you could try using the RS232 version of the same project which only uses a TSOP 1738 for IR reception and a zenner and resistor.. You can mod it and wire it or for some hi tech, you could make your whole project wireless using IR.. The software can emulate exisiting keys, automate programs or generate any new command for any code recieved.. It was originally meant for a multimedia home theatre PC.. Give it a shot..

www.cesko.host.sk

this is fantastic just help me develop my idea to the next stage :) a wireless setup i may be getting ahead of my self but hey no fun in doing things the easy way lol