USB device possible?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Well, I have seen a device which at first looks like a USB CDROM with a cd with drivers in it. After the installation it becomes a compound device with the rest of the functionality.
Off course you still have to install the drivers manually.

simo_x

Joined Dec 23, 2010
Off course it's possible.
You will need a microcontroller to install your own hardware driver, and this will communicate to the operating system.
Off course your OS should be able to recognize the driver.. This is done by using protocols & standards, which your driver should implement for communication.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
No. Windows has a finite path that it searches for drivers. If, as Kubeek mentioned, your device emulated a mass storage class, it could make available drivers for compounding, but windows would need prompting, or PC side scripting to direct it's driver search to that drive.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
On vbforums.com similar questions pop up occasionally and are promptly discouraged because it violates a basic programming tenant.

"Thou shalt not make any changes to the user's operating system without their knowledge."

vss_vintorez

Joined May 23, 2011
Well I sill did not get one asnwer with good fundamentals !!!
50% say yes
and
50% say no

Think about mouses that work as keyboards
(they [use] the keyboard's driver)
(I want to [install/use] my own driver that would be in my own device)

Last edited:

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well I sill did not get one asnwer with good fundamentals !!!
50% say yes
and
50% say no
There are basically two families of USB devices. One family is recognized by Windows as 'HID' (Human Interface Device). HID's don't require drivers to be installed, as Windows recognizes what they are. Flash drives and USB printers fall into the HID family. Non HID's require drivers to be installed, because Windows has no clue of what they are.

vss_vintorez

Joined May 23, 2011
I need your best idead to complete this...

Tasks:
+ Execute some code or program in a computer.

+ Don't be detected by USB Flashdrive Blockers.
+ OS: Windows and AutoRun disabled.
+ Don't ask the user anything.
+ There is no roof price.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008

Tasks:

Not on your best day! Everything you're describing sounds sinister and violates basic principles. Besides that, you're in the wrong type of forum for this.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005

Tasks:

First you need to know what OS exactly is your target and what actualizations are present. Then you can try to find some unpatched vulnerability. Other than that it is impossible.