usb charger for g1

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lokeycmos, Jun 1, 2009.

1. lokeycmos

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Just be aware that this is a relatively low power electrical socket. It is 5V, and the fuse you may blow is in your motherboard, a bad place to blow anything. My niece had something similar happen in her MB because of an Ipod, I wound up getting an external card, which I highly recommend you doing for this project. You can get USB ports that fit in a 3½" bay (and that have all sorts of goodies like SD/MD memory card slots besides), and use the external USB interface to link to it.

3. lokeycmos

Apr 3, 2009
    sorry, i didnt elaborate. when i said usb charger i meant charging the android through its usb port not a computers usb port.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    So you are going to plug the android USB port where?

5. lokeycmos

Apr 3, 2009
    the only way to charge the g1 is through its usb port. im going to modify a car charger from another phone that matches the voltage and current ratings. so im basically wondering if all i have todo is connect the regulated output to pins 1 and 4 or do i need anything with the data pins(2 and 3).

6. Søren

Sep 2, 2006
    Hi,

Pins 1 and 4 should be enough, unless there is some kind of signalling "charging" via the data pins (I find that unlikely, but I don't know anything about the g1 you have).

7. djb

May 17, 2008
    usb ports and chargers must have the 500mA current limit while regulates 5V. you need a circuit to do this. LM317 is adjustable voltage regulator, but you can find a current limiting application in it's datasheet together with voltage regulation using 1 extra tranzistor only. if you manage to do this, or another solution of power supply 5V with current limiting @ 500mA, then you have to connect the usb pinouts correctly and that's it.