USB Camera/Magnifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bwilliams60, Apr 7, 2014.

1. bwilliams60

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Does anybody use a camera/magnifier for work on PCB's and if so, where did you purchase it from and would you recommend it? I am middle-aged :) and can't see as well as I used to so I would like to get some better eyes but would also like the capability of taking pictures with it and storing them on my laptop. I would like them to be good quality pics. Thanks in advance.

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I was playing with old Minolta Dimage Xg digital camera (point and shoot, not DSLR). It is quiet neat small camera. Two interesting things about it:
    1. It had an optional accessory for external power which basically looked like a battery with a power cable, so you would insert this "battery" in and plug the cable to the wall.
    2. It has an option to act as a remote camera. Connected to pc using USB.

And it has a standard threaded hole for attaching to tripod. I would guess you will want one of those small table top tripods.

3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Any modern camera with "macro" feature should be fine. They can take a photo at 5cm (2") distance where the tiny SMD parts look as big as buildings.

A bright light is the other thing you need.

Or you could hook up a camera, video converter and an old PC flatscreen monitor like I did here;

[​IMG]
    http://www.romanblack.com/VGA_microscope/VGAmic.htm
    :)

4. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    I bought one of the cheap USB microscopes off eBay, it's OK but more trouble than it's worth. I end up using the magnifier light I have on the bench. I can get it positioned with enough room to work under it and do most anything needed.

5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Which I find from time to time, published with incredibly high prices. I do not know why...

6. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    You don't realy need an expensive camera. This is a 2nd hand $5 camera & does a fine job with Macro work.

7. BReeves

Nov 24, 2012
    Depends on the manfacture and the quality. The one I have I bought surplus for almost nothing because the base was broken. It is an older Luxo which is top line, new cost would be at least $150.00. I fixed the base and have been using it for years.

It's like this except dark gray.
    http://www.rakuten.com/prod/luxo-16...t&adid=18179&gclid=CLWspMSH0r0CFS9p7AodzwYAuA

8. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    What about those of rectangular shape? Do they distort somewhat? Which is better?

Seen them very expensive some time ago around here.

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Is the camera that took the PCB pics the Nikon Coolpix 4200?

I was wondering how you took a picture of your camera, a process that needs either a mirror or a second camera.

10. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Yes the camera in the picture was used to take the pics of the board. Used the wifes camera to take pic of the camera. The Nikon in the pic is the $5 camera purchased at a garage sale.

11. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Being an old fossil, whose point of focus has drifted out past arms length...

I use the dollar-store Chinese " reading glasses " + 4 diopter for really close work, , 2.5 diopter just for normal reading, both work out just fine... I do have a rakuten-style lamp on my desk, and it comes in quite handy as well...

Does anyone know if the micro-usb-to standard USB cable, will connect into a PC on the other end for the purpose of viewing a pcb on a computer monitor???

I remember doing this with my old sony videocam, tho' haven't tried the still-camera to see if it will work...

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  12. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
  13. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Eh? The what?

14. andy00

May 14, 2014