USB Cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dr.killjoy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dr.killjoy

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    In my house hold we go threw alot of Micro usb to usb phone charger cords.. For a while I was using plain dollar store ones but they seem to be really thin and limited the current therefor taking a long time to charge.. I was looking to repair some of the heavier cables and still might do it .. But could I make my own charger cord for say $3 or $4 a piece or could you suggested a place to get good premade charging cables ???

Thanks

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
  3. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    What connectors will be on your home made cables?

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Check out Monoprice. It's where I start if I need a cable.

I wouldn't dream of making my own.

5. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Buy the connectors from ebay, solder heavier wire onto them, shrink wrap and electrical tape?

Dr.killjoy likes this.
  6. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    They would be Standard Male usb to Male micro usb

7. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    It is unlikely the current is being limited by the cable. Many phones require certain signals on the D+ and D- lines to tell them they can use more than 500mA to charge. If the charger does not provide these, the phone will charge slowly.

Bob

8. Techno Tronix

Jan 10, 2015
    I agree. Buying connectors from Ebay is a good idea.

9. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Wow I completely forgot about them and will be my best option for new cables
    Never heard of them but will need to check them out..
    I tired different cables and the cable is the problem not charger or phone.
    Are you being real or smart A$$ ?? I only ask because most stay away from parts from ebay ... I did check them out and they might work but will order some and see how they hold up ..

10. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I think you are over reacting. The USB connector is just four pins. Does not matter if it is regular USB or Micro USB. Does not matter if you get it from ebay or where ever else. Solder on 4 wires, make sure the conductors do not touch. Shrink wrap and/or electrical tape. It will be ugly, but you can use 18 AWG instead of silly 26 AWG or whatever they use in factory cables.

11. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    The shorter the USB cable the less volts drop you will get.

Or you could buy a mains USB charger.
    I have one that puts out 2 amps.

12. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    It's not a matter of over reacting.. I ask a legit question to clarify the answer given.. Plus I don't want to use poor quality parts that could cause damage ..Also I could careless about the looks as long as they work and hold up ..

13. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Thanks for the info.. My problem is not the charger as I have a nice size stash of working units .. The usb cables I am using are very thin and not able to supply the current available.. So the phone charges extremely slow and the cables from digikey look like my best option.. Also I will pick up male micro usb to repair the broken heavier duty cables.