USB Battery charger review

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
The truth is, I don't really need a fast charger; for now a 50mA charge seems more than enough. It's also doesn't seem that important if the batteries reach full charge; unless this damages or limits their life-span in any way. I read that you can easily damage NiCd batteries because of the memory if you charge them wrong; but this doesn't seem to apply to NiMh batteries.

I think I'm going to leave it as it is... taking the batteries out at 3V when the LED lights up.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The truth is, I don't really need a fast charger; for now a 50mA charge seems more than enough. It's also doesn't seem that important if the batteries reach full charge; unless this damages or limits their life-span in any way. I read that you can easily damage NiCd batteries because of the memory if you charge them wrong; but this doesn't seem to apply to NiMh batteries.

I think I'm going to leave it as it is... taking the batteries out at 3V when the LED lights up.
At C/10 there's no great rush to take them out of the charger, at C/20 you can probably get away with a week or two.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
You could add an emitter resistor to create a traditional constant current source less dependent on transistor gain.