USB Audio Transmitter

MrJones

Joined Aug 1, 2012
Hi, new to this forum and in no way an electronics expert, so go easy!

I’m seeking help to a problem I’ve had for some time. About 5 years ago I purchased a wireless speaker system. The idea was that you plugged a USB dongle into your PC/Laptop and it transmits the audio from there to the speakers. When I moved house I lost the dongle, the speakers can still be used wired however the whole reason I purchased it was for the wireless option. Since then I have been trying to make/buy a replacement USB dongle.

The speaker system is an Ozaki wireless 2.1 speaker system, the manufacturer has not been helpful and has not responded to any correspondence. There is very little information available on the internet about the system but the relevant technical information that I have managed to gather is as follows:

USB connection
Works on 8 channels between 30HZ and 20KHz

Any advice would be brilliant guys because I'm just about ready to give up!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those frequencies are not for the radio, they're the audio specs. To have any chance at all, you need to transmit at the right frequency. Perhaps your receiver (speakers) has some markings?

But bottom line, I think you'd be far better off finding a compatible transmitter or just getting another new set. Your existing speakers might even work with the new set.

Trying to build an USB-to-RF transmitter on your own, while possible, would be a challenging project for anyone and near impossible for a noob.

MrJones

Joined Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for your reply...I did warn you!! Is this maybe more relevant information:

2.4GH/8 channel signal auto switch

I think the original unit has been discontinued or else I would purchase a new set and could have my music right around my house.

I wouldnt say I am a complete noob, I'm a Telecoms Engineer, albeit still training. Believe it or not when I'm qualified I think radio will be part of my remit! :eek:

Thanks again for your help mate, its looking like the bin for these speakers!!!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, they're still speakers. E-bay is your friend. Maybe you can find someone with a transmitter and no speakers. ;)

IMHO, forget about building a DIY transmitter at 2.4GHz. It may be worse than just building a radio - it could have digital keys on top of it and who knows what other technologies. Of course there may be some here that have the chops to tackle that project, but it's not trivial. The early cordless phones were 49MHz and a lot like baby monitors. That was about the last time a DIYer had a chance.

Your 2.4GHz system is probably a lot like the cordless phones using that frequency.