urgent reply

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hallo!Suggesting if the moderators can provide a direct online chating coz sometimes u may be having a very urgent problem n u wish to be helped by members.Is it possible??

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
MIRINGU, a chat feature such as IRC is something that occasionally gets requested here at AAC, and we have always resisted implementing it for several reasons.

Firstly, the such a feature requires moderation to prevent abuse which is beyond to modest resources the mod team here at AAC can offer.

Secondly, the forums are heavily indexed by search engines, including our own SE here at AAC, which provide a valuable repository of information of others looking for information. Questions and answers over IRC are not indexable in this way and hence valuable information could potentially be lost; therefore we always recommend discussion take part in the open forum.

These are the reasons we have resisted implementing a chat feature. As always, anything that can provide net benefits to the site is always "on the table".

Further comments welcome.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Chat rooms are available elsewhere, such as messenger services. Personally I don't like messengers in any form (too much like spyware), but have been known to use chat rooms. For something like this site however, I prefer to have time to think about my replies (and still get it wrong occasionally). You should see my PMs, all the regulars are continously recieving email for personel help. I used to go with it, but have decided to insist on public forum posts, and will respond to PM's pointing me to posts requesting help.

If you look around you will see the ocasional exchange in a forum that resembles a chat session, where posts are exchanged every 30 minutes or so as we worked through concepts.

IMO, chatting is great for socializing, and while we do some of that here it isn't the real reason of the site. There is a dark side of chatting too, one that requires continous monitoring, which really isn't practical here. There is always someone willing to be obnoxious, with the posts it can be controlled somewhat, but with chats it can get out of hand much quicker.

I used to know of a university that had a Linux box set up to be a chat room. Sucker was ultra reliable, when the clock of the PC drifted off by 4 hours we'd have to contact the sponsor to reset it, but other than that it just sat in a corner gathering dust and working. The point of this was, it wasn't moderated, now and then we'd have strangers drop in when no one else was using it, sometimes in foriegn languages. I often wonder if it was being used for illegal purposes, who would know? This could have something to do with it being gone now too.

Just my $0.02

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
MIRINGU, a chat feature such as IRC is something that occasionally gets requested here at AAC, and we have always resisted implementing it for several reasons.

Firstly, the such a feature requires moderation to prevent abuse which is beyond to modest resources the mod team here at AAC can offer.

Secondly, the forums are heavily indexed by search engines, including our own SE here at AAC, which provide a valuable repository of information of others looking for information. Questions and answers over IRC are not indexable in this way and hence valuable information could potentially be lost; therefore we always recommend discussion take part in the open forum.

These are the reasons we have resisted implementing a chat feature. As always, anything that can provide net benefits to the site is always "on the table".

Further comments welcome.

Dave
Actually it needs alot of monitoring to prevent abuse.
Also i agree with Bill.Thanks n now i understand