URGENT : looking for some PLC/uC based CNC projects ideas

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have the spec's on them? They look like they will be too small for any but a very small router machine.
For light to heavy machining you need rigidity which means you generally have a fairly beefy table, plus a vice or fixture and then the weight of the article being machined, so there is inertia of the machine to be considered, as for torque calculation, you could look at one of the free sizing programs such as offered by Kollmorgen.
Also There are alot of experienced stepper users on the CNCzone forum if you need design help with steppers.
I only use servo's in my designs.
Max.

LETITROLL

Joined Oct 9, 2013
I will post a thread on that forum .

BTW am trying to build only a prototype , so the machine will be relativly small , the metal area of operation is about 20*20 cm , thickness is from 0 to 1.5 cm .

The motors i found are from an apple imagewriter matrix printer here is the data on them :

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
0.8 amps, so they are quite small but if that is all the size of the machine is then it should provide a model for experimental purposes.
1.5cm will be OK on soft material.
Like I mentioned, steppers are not my area of expertise.
Max.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
This seems like it is a homework project.
What comes to mind for me is a pick and place machine.

A PLC could control advance on the conveyor system for the circuit boards.

The pick and place arm can be adapted from the guts of an old line printer.

Tips.
Don't incorporate rotation of parts;
Many parts like resistors do not need rotation.
You can design your circuit boards to have all identical parts oriented identically
You can have reels mounted on either side which allows some orientation choice.
If you have three parts that do need rotation on a 30 component board, that will be 15 seconds of hand placement per board which is more than likely to be acceptable. Have the preheat quality control inspections done at the same time by the same tech.