Urgent- It this simple circuit will work?

studystudystudy

Joined May 21, 2010
Well if you want to make the supercap catch fire it's a fine circuit.

You really can't have such a wide input voltage range.

Why start a new thread on the same problem?
thanks for your post. what do you mean by make supercap catch fire and can't have such a wide input voltage range?

i have to start a new thread because old 1 no people reply me.

my circuit is to stored the energy, Energy harvesting circuit, the input source are unstable or no constant... if my V2 and I2 is conduct, will it send back to V1 and I2?

Appears you've been trying to figure this out since May 2010. You might want to wrap your head around basic electronics first so you can see why this is not a viable circuit.

What are the sources of electricity? What are you storing the energy for? What do you hope to power? Supercaps don't hold that much power compared to a battery.

PS how on earth can it be urgent?

studystudystudy

Joined May 21, 2010
to blueroomelectronic

yes, u r right, i try to figure it out since may 2010, but this is urgent where i have to submit already

i study all the necessary component. but i still don't even know how to start to design a circuit. Design a circuit need consider many thing.. leakage current etc. which is i not good enough

the source : piezoelectric material - when compress, a small current flow
Purpose : just stored the charge to power a LED (main purpose to stored only)

Voltage source around Vpp 80V and Current source around 25uA

studystudystudy

Joined May 21, 2010
thank for all your post. even it not related

i admit i didn't do my part as a student rightly... but isn't it when i found problem, i come here to seek for professional?

i admit its already long time story.. but once you don't know how to do it, and you try hard, still cannot get it... should i seek for other for help?

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
If it works, it will be terribly inefficient, like 5% at best. And it won't take in much energy on each pulse.

Also, remove ZD1, it has no function in this circuit.

Last edited:

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Actually removing that ZD1 forward biased zener is also important because it pushes the properly biased Zener up to 5.1 + 0.7 volts. That means that the super cap could get overcharged to 5.8Volts which is bad if it is rated at 5.5 Volts. That only matters if you have a very energetic piezo system which I doubt. You would be talking about serious piezo stacks fed by an extremely high vibration energy. It would not be efficient.

After that your little circuit should be fairly harmless and might even work. I wouldn't bother with a large value capacitor because you will be unlikely to get it even close to charged. What you want are some 1uF low leakage ceramic capacitors.

What you are describing is far from new.

I believe it is similar to what is inside those kids sneakers that light up with every step.