(urgent) how to move a servo

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Today, the middle wire is usually red (+4.8 to 6V). That way, getting the plug reversed doesn't fry the servo. That system is almost universal in the USA and Asian (not early Japanese) servos. The Japanese converted several years ago, but some European (German) servos maintained center wire as ground --maybe they still do.

In any event, signal is never red or black. It is usually yellow, orange, or white.

John

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I have some HiTech, Futaba, and a few "no name" servos here, the only ones with the signal in the middle are older Futaba, new ones are the same as the rest. All the others have the signal wire (white or yellow in this case) at one end of the connector, ground at the other end, and +V as the center. In all cases, red is V+, black is ground.

--ETA: My post above mentioned 5-10V pulses. The pulses should be no higher than the supply voltage, which can be 5-10V, more voltage increases transit time a bit.

nipkap

Joined Mar 27, 2009
but i am giving
8.89ms +ve pulse
and around 18ms for dead time
so i think there is no question of 90ms
and in my servo red,brownand orange wires are given and i have read somewhere that red is for +(4.8-6)V , brown is for ground and the orange one is for controlling pulses.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The information you are providing is very confusing and contradictory. An 8.89 mS pulse is more than 4X what the maximum pulse should be. No wonder it pins in one position.

Where are the schematic and pictures?

John

nipkap

Joined Mar 27, 2009
ok ...can anyone tell me the circuit for current boosting...
i have read somewhere that we i have to (4.8-6)v power supply and atleast 1.5 amps dc current to red pin...
i dont have power supply for such a high amps ..so how to increase the current.
waiting for reply....

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm waiting from some concrete information from you. We are just going in circles absent that. That servo does not require 1.5 A unloaded.

John

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What is your power supply? 4 AA batteries in series provide enough voltage and current to run a servo.

Increasing current is usually done by using a larger power supply, or through a switching regulator that gives a higher current at a lower voltage. Watts = Volts * Amps, wattage cannot go "up" without an additional power source.

nipkap

Joined Mar 27, 2009
actually i have talked with a vendor of this servo ..he told me that its a giant servo ...
b/c it gives 42kgf-cm torque...and therefore it needs current supply of more than 1.5 amps and needs 16amps when fully loaded..

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
With no load on the servo, AA batteries will turn it without a problem. The high current draw is the "stall current". Unless it is overloaded, the servo should be drawing between 0.8 and 4 amps.

Rechargeable AA batteries have very high short duration current output. from the pictures I've seen, the wires are not larger than the 22 gauge typical, so they won't pull over about 8 amps continually without the wires melting down.

nipkap

Joined Mar 27, 2009
thanks ..guys , finally i was able to move my servo..without your help it would'nt be possible for me to do it...

but its not over i have to finish my whole project ..and will continue irritating you guys...
you guys are great man ...

Last edited: