Urgent Help Please

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by MAZAR SCIENTIST, Jun 7, 2008.

1. MAZAR SCIENTIST

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2008
    Hy I'm Mohamed and I'm studying electronics engineering and i wanna do my project after 2 years as a Robot plz.
    i wanna members here tell me what i should read and do to reach that thing
    should i begin firstly with micro controlling OR WAT I SHOULD READ AND LEARN BEFORE DOING THAT?
    AND I ASKED THAT QUESTION ON THE PROJECT CATEGORY AND MR BILL_MARDSEN TOLD ME TO ASK ENGINEERS HERE SO PLZ TELL ME
    THX AT FIRST

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    You may want to get you hands on a book that gives you an overview of robotics.

The website www.solarbotics.com sells a number of good reference books to kickstart you robotics project.

Junkbots, Bugbots and Bots on Wheels appears to be a popular book among robotic builders.

hgmjr

3. MAZAR SCIENTIST

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2008
    thx so much hgmjr i will see them now

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Form follows function, so what kind of robot would you be thinking of building for a first project? This really does determine the level of complexity for the electronics. Combat robotics, or it's cousins ordinance disposal and battlefield robots is mostly remote controlled, while the purists insist only a autonomous robot (one with a computer controlling it) are the only true robots.

What kind of programming skills do you have? I don't claim to know what would be needed, but I suspect learning to use the current microprocessor/controllers would seem a good place to start, such as PIC or AVR microcontrollers I've been hearing about. http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=74114&postcount=6

I have to admit I like combat robotics, the people seem very open and friendly for the most part, and if you're design happens to destroy their design there is no hard feelings, more of a feeling of next time it will be different. I have seen these guys loan each other tools, parts, and give help in the middle of competition, even though it might be detrimental to their cause.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. MAZAR SCIENTIST

Thread Starter Member

May 8, 2008
    thx so much sir i will try to apply ur words

6. aliashar86

Nov 23, 2006
    hi. plz tell what does following do. explain every line:

ORG 0000h

MOV AH, 0Eh (why use AH and what is the function of 0E)

MOV AL, 'H' (why use AL )

INT 10h what is its ftn?

RET

7. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    Aliashar86,
    The code you show is apparently x86 assembly, and it uses the video BIOS function 10h to write a character to the screen. The way it works with the BIOS functions (and the DOS functions 21h in 16-bit Windows), you set up the registers with the subfunctions you want to use (typically in AH), and whatever other data the function needs in other registers. After the registers are set appropriately, you call the BIOS or other function with an INT xx instruction.

ORG - program origin
    The two lines that come before the INT 10h instruction set up the registers for a call to the BIOS to display a character.

MOV AH, 0Eh This specifies the INT 10h subfunction to use (print the character in AL to the TTY device).
    MOV AL, 'H' This specifies the character to print.
    INT 10h Prints the character in AL.

RET Return to caller.

8. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    Aliashar86,
    I didn't notice at first, but you should have started another thread, rather than "highjacking" an existing thread that was unrelated to your question.

9. aliashar86

Nov 23, 2006
    sorry but i was in hurry as i was programming and wanted urgent reply.
    any way thanx . sir i m new to assembly programming and using "emu8086" .i have seen the code examples in it also . e.g "traffic light" so can you plz tell that which microcontroller does this simulator support.

10. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    Judging by the name, "emu8086", it supports some subset of the Intel x86 family of CPUs, which by the way aren't microcontrollers.

11. aliashar86

Nov 23, 2006
    so then on what device i will see my output.

its "emu8086 version 4.07 , 8086 microprocessor emulator"

by output i mean tht as i mentioned that it has an example of traffic light that is its code. so on what device i will see that output. also led display code is there.

sorry i m very new in this area that's y asking v v v beginner's type question.