UPS

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by chairman, Aug 16, 2009.

1. chairman

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    I am not an electronics expert but can anyone tell me if it is possible to construct or buy a small UPS or similar that would plugged into a power outlet and and then a small appliance plugged into it such as radio alarm or coffee maker or microwave etc:- any amall appliance that needs the time resetting
    I live in Florida and accept that power outages caused by hurricanes are a way of life but the electricity system is so fragile that we constantly get momentary outages and it drives me crazy having to reset the times on small appliances these do not normally affect the larger items which probably have some sort of capacitor or memory so I feel that there must be something that can be made for the smaller cheaper appliances

Any ideas anyone

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Those little power blinks can be more than annoying. The problem with your work-around is that a UPS is not really cheap. To play safe, the UPS would need to be sized to run the load while operating. Otherwise, the UPS and the appliance could both be fried if power blinks while you are nuking cold coffee. Look at the power rating on the appliance - that will tell you the size of the UPS needed. Then do some pricing.

I feel your pain. While stationed at Dam Neck, we had daily power blinks. They took down 10's of millions of dollars worth of equipment. Besides occasional damage, it took over an hour to get everything back up and operating.

3. Amberwolf

May 2, 2008
    Better idea--if you are willing to build a UPS (which can be quite a complex project depending on features), then you know enough electronics (or should) to simply open up each appliance, measure the voltage going to the clock sections of each unit (for those that are independent) or the standby voltage (for those that are not) and simply install a battery system that will output that small DC voltage whenever there is less voltage on the battery system's output than the battery system itself is designed at (just under the actual typical voltage of the system to be powered).

A charger for the battery, if desired, can be run from a wallwart on the same outlet as the appliance. (switching it on and off so that it does not supply it's (higher) voltage to the appliance is the only potentially complex part).

4. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009
    I stick with amberwolf's idea to stand momentary blinks and only for the clocking ckt.