UPS=PC turn off circuit design help needed

muheeb

Joined Apr 27, 2011
Hi,I am a new member and am a newbie in this electronics field and I was wondering if you guys could help me with this project of mine.

First a fact
.Where I live there is lots of loadshedding happening,so I use a ups to turn off the computer

with that fact in mind,what I want to do is build a circuit that will be connected to my ups and my pc.My understanding is that ups has a system that tells it to change to ac to battery when current is gone,ans battery to ac when current is back up,the circuit will be connected with that system,and the other side of the circuit will be connected with my pc's power button cables.

The power button of the pc as you all know works by one touch,you make them contact once and it is activated.

So,my circuit basically will take the input from the ups that current is gone and touch the cables once together and turn off the pc,and when current is back on it will take that input and touch the cables together again and turn it on.

Can you guys help me out with what components I need and the circuit diagram?The help is appreciated.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The modern UPS has progressed quite a bit since simply switching the PC to bat-inverter power. Here's a short list of what a robust UPS can do. None of which requires any electronics or tapping into any circuits.

(1) Regulated 120V (Line Power) output for areas prone to brown - outs.
(2) USB port to interface to PC. Some may still have RS232 though.
(3) Software with user menu to select actions taken when power drops or returns.

This one doesn't provide 120V (Line Power) regulation but check out the user menu.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=814&page=4

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'm not aware of any UPS (made in the last 10 years) that doesn't give you options to turn off the computer when there is x amount of battery time left,etc.. Typically this just involves a serial cable or USB cable from the UPS to the computer and to load the software that comes with the UPS..

What is the model number of your UPS?