UPS Overload LED Lights up instantly when motor starts

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pureanalog, Dec 20, 2013.

1. pureanalog

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2010
    I have a pump connected to the APC Smart 1000va ups. The pump has a 900VA max sticker on it. When I turn on the pump the UPS overload light lights up instantly and then goes off and works normally.

I switch daily this pump on.

Do you think that this overload the pump instantly causes could damage my UPS eventually?

thanks

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If this is a 3ph motor, you could use a softStart relay.
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Nobody could possibly know that without knowing exactly which model you have, reading the schematic, and taking it apart to see how much quality is in there.

4. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    At 900 VA it's very close to the 1000 VA limit the UPS has plus AC induction motors tend to have peak starting power draws that can be 3 - 5 times their rated running power levels which is more likely what is tripping your UPS protection circuit.

If the pump is a critical device I would suggest upgrading to a UPS rated for electric motor service being it will eventually kill the one you have.

Motor load rated UPS units tend to have a much higher peak surge capacity than a standard units rated for computer or electronics device backup power.

5. pureanalog

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Full current load according to specs is 1.2 Amperes. Start current is 5.5 A. And it is operating at 220Volts. So the overload is not huge, and it is not blowing a fuse on the UPS.

The pump is critical to the system and the pump having power nomatter what is important.

My only worry is if I will destroy my UPS.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  7. eeabe

Nov 30, 2013
    Most UPS manufacturers specify an overload/peak power output for a short time, so for a 1000VA UPS, I wouldn't be surprised if it was designed to handle 1500VA for a short duration. You might check with APC and see if they can provide that spec for you.