UPS Not compatible with my computer, my computer truns off when there is no electricity?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Arslan Pervaiz Butt, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 13, 2016
    I have bought an Homage hexa 1210 UPS 900 watts,modified sine wave and attached a 130 Ampare lead acid battery to it, i m using hp xw 6400 workstation , when lights go off my UPS shows short circuit error and my computer turns off, all other appliances are working fine on this UPS, what is the promble how to resolve it, someone told me to ad a capacitor to my computer input?

[​IMG]

Here is the detail of my UPS

http://homage.pk/hex-1210-scc/

HEX-1210 Solar Charging
    Power 900 Watt 2000VA/12VDC/220VAC

Capacity 5 Tube Lights or 14 Energy Savers & 6 Fans

Features

Inverter with built-in solar charger controller
    Built-in intelligent 3-stage charger control for efficient charging and to prevent overcharging
    Light weighted, wall mounted, rack design
    User friendly LCD & LED
    Multiple protections: low battery alarm, low battery shutdown, overload protection, over heating protection, short circuit protection
    Highly efficient DC-to-AC conversion, minimizing energy loss
    Free AC & DC cables
    Innovative charging system especially designed to suit local type batteries and local weather conditions

2. tranzz4md

Apr 10, 2015
    UPS should be carrying the load continuously, and any overload show up immediately upon connection. That battery description doesn't seem right for that unit however.

Look at configuration and connection instructions, as well as battery specs in the UPS manufacturer's literature.

3. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Oct 13, 2016
    i have read on UPS manufacturer litrature they mention 100 amp battery minimum, Computer starts when i restart the UPS.I am from pakistan here electricity if off for almost 10 hours out of 24 hours a day.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    A UPS that will run for 10 hours a day will be huge! Most consumer UPSes are designed to run for about 15 minutes. Just enough to shut down cleanly. You need a generator to run for that long.

5. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Oct 13, 2016
    But the UPS does not provide even 15 mints to shutdown it

6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Are you absolutely sure that your battery is ok? Can you try with a different one?
    Can you try loading the UPS with different load, like for example 300W worth of lightbulbs and see if it behaves the same?

7. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Oct 13, 2016
    its working on all other appliances,i have also turned my pc on it but after restarting the ups, first it shows short curcuit error and my computer turns off if i restart the ups it start working

8. drc_567

Aug 23, 2016

9. tranzz4md

Apr 10, 2015
    I have heard of this before, as well as had some of it myself with older units. Again, if you have a true "closed transition" UPS, any overload will trip or trigger that overload protection device or message. I doubt you have a true closed transition device however, and suspect that there is in fact a fast transition, and that the waveforms are not synchronized. This would not be evident in lights, many motors, or many circuits using rectifiers with capacitors at the outputs.

10. NCSailor

Jun 15, 2013
    The information about the Hex1210 is a little sparse.
    I don't see it referred to as a UPS so wonder what kind of switchover time it has. A PC needs to be quite fast.

A second issue may be how the claimed 900W of power is distributed across any multiple outlets on the Hex1210.
    If there is more than one outlet, it is possible that the 900W is divided among the outlets and no outlet has access to the full 900W.
    If an outlet can support another device, but when you connect your PC and turn it on, it shuts down the Hex1210, then it is likely that the outlet cannot support 575W and the overload protection of the Hex1210 shuts down to protect it.

Graham

11. Sensacell

Jun 19, 2012
    900 Watts from a small unit like that = not-very-long under the best circumstances.

If the battery is not in 100 % new condition, it's going to support far less.

12. tranzz4md

Apr 10, 2015
    This unit will work fine with a laptop using an ordinary corded charger. In your situation that would provide you the best flexibility for use and charging. However, if you feel that this "UPS" is a good choice for you, you really should contact the manufacturer, because they will know about the transfer characteristics, as well as their alarm and shutdown setpoints.

Probably a better solution would be for you to obtain a compatible power supply for your "computer", which appears to be a"desktop" style, which uses a 12VDC power source. I'm quite sure these are, or at least used to be available. Then you can have a bank of car batteries on a solar charger, or a few batteries each with its own solar charger, and swap them as needed, and get good results.

13. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Oct 13, 2016
    thanks everyone for providing great information....i think my ups switchover time in not fast.

14. Jan Luthe

Jan 10, 2015
    Some UPS have multiple outlets where some of the outlets get power from the battery where other outlets are direct and not from the battery.

15. Arslan Pervaiz Butt

Oct 13, 2016
    My UPS have single outlet