Upgrade to PICkit3 or ICD3

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by raychar, Feb 14, 2013.

1. raychar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Hello everybody,

My IDC2 seems to be out-dated when i am going to update to MPLABX. Which one is better for me to purchase; PICKit3 and ICD3? What's the meaning for PICkit3 information page's warning that it is not a programmer for production use, i sometimes use debugger to program for only a dozen MCUs during initial production.

I have middle to low level microcontroller knowledge and won't use much debugging functions in high end debugger.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I've set up a few PM3 production programmers in my time. These go for $900 USD and must actually be a source of income to Microchip.

A "production programmer" does some more checking when programming and verifying each device programmed, AFAIK this is checking the memory at the extremes of power supply voltage.

I have the ICD3 and the PICkit 2 and the 3. My favorite is actually the PICkit 2 as it has an excellent stand-along application program where you can check the pins and voltages.

I don't see much difference between the ICD3 and the PICkit 3 besides price. They both seem to do the same job.

Final answer: if I was just going to buy one device it would be the PICkit 3 hands down.
  3. raychar

Thread Starter Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Much thanks for the information.