UP/ Down counter from 000 to 999 Not Working

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Thedatsun, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Thedatsun

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    I have a design for a counter that counts from 000 to 999 UP and Down on a LCD using a 555 timer to supply the signal CMOS ICs 4027 with a 4060 for the timing gate, 4029 Up/down counter, and 4543 for the LCD. However I am unsure why it will not count or at least display on the LCD. The only feedback I get is the blinking decimal and middle notches and not a full digit.

The counter is set up based on the diameter of the wheel that will be used on a Tape measure which equates to A mod 6 counter because the amount of pulses per revolution of the wheel.

Is there a problem with my Logic for the 4027 Gates?

Can someone examine the circuit and tell me if it will count from 000 to 999 with a leading zero?

Also can someone also tell me perferrably with a diagram how and where to wire in a Reset switch?

Where to wire in LEDs (2) to show max and min terms ?

Also where is the Phase A and B signal located in this circuit?

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Thedatsun

Apr 27, 2013
    Bump for help

3. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    Thedatsun likes this.
  4. Thedatsun

Apr 27, 2013
    Ah, That makes perfect sense. Luckily for me I have 2 CD4516BE's on hand. I will test on multisim and post my new schematic.

The local parts store is closed on the weekends So I'd have to wait until monday to get the required 3rd one I need. Would a 4510 work as well? I have two of those on hand and I was reviewing the data sheet it has a single pin 9 input Reset ability?

Thank you very much for the help sir.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Don't bump a thread just six or seven hours after you started it. That will just annoy people. Give people at least a couple days to decide if they want to respond. Remember, everyone here is a volunteer that has a real life and can't sit around all day just waiting for your question.

It looks like you've gotten a schematic from some place and then rushed right in and built the whole thing and now wonder why it doesn't work. So take the thing apart and implement each of the sections separately and incrementally, testing it and being sure you understand it fully before moving on. Then, when you connect two sections together that don't work, you can focus on the interface between the two sections and your detailed knowledge of both sections to find out what the problem is quickly.

Thedatsun likes this.
  6. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    If you are looking for BCD counting a CD4510 would work.
    Here's a nice tutorial:

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4510.htm

It also talks about MOD 6 counting.

Edit: Thedatsun - Funny thing - I was typing, just read your last post. ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    Thedatsun likes this.
  7. Thedatsun

Apr 27, 2013
    Thank you, and I apologize for breaking any forum rules. This has sort of been a group project and my partner sent me all that he has finished so far, so I am trying to do most of the physical work myself seeing as he works 40+ hours a week. I just wanted to test his data while adding on my calculations for the duty cycle 555 timer before I start wire wrapping the whole thing.

8. Thedatsun

Apr 27, 2013
    Alright, I set up the circuit using the 4516s. I still get no display on the LCD, I test the logic analyzer and Oscilloscope for each portion of the total circuit (flip flops and Counter out puts) It seems the last digit is not appearing. It is either not fully counting to, or from 999 or the program is stopping before final count. The first attachment is with only 2 4516 outputs the second is with all three.

I am considering using the 74LS190 presettable Up/Dn counter because of its Min/Max capabilities BUT it does not seem to have a reset ability? It has preset and clear. Would clear be basically setup as the reset by making it low?

9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Could you annotate the diagrams to point out where you are saying the output deviates from what you expect it to be?

As I look at the second diagram, I see (just past the 41.2ms tick) the output going from (0000)(0011)(1111) to (0000)(0100)(0000).

This appears to be counting up in binary from 0x02B (43) on the far left to 0x05B (91) on the far right. So where's the problem?

Thedatsun likes this.
  10. Thedatsun

Apr 27, 2013
    After running the circuit again but at a longer sample it does count correctly past the 100s, I thought that it didn't because I did not connect one of the output pins to the input of the 4543 I believe that it was Q2 to DC. The fault is not with my flip flop or counter portions of my circuit, but with the LCD it self or the connections from the 4543 to the LCD. Since, I am not familiar with the LCD on Multisim and my partner opted to use it I am going to rewire with 3 separate 7 segment Hex displays and see if there is a difference.

In the actual project we will be using a LCD similar to the on in multisim, but I have a data sheet and pin layout for that one not the one in the software; I just hooked it up assuming it would be the same.

I will post an update. Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it.