Unusually low resistance of incandescent bulb?

Tekk

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Hello circuitonians,

I bought a really cool 120v/300w light bulb from the 1910s and want to make a lamp out of it. Before plugging it in, I measured the resistance to make sure it hadn't turned into a dead short over the past 100 years (not likely, but whatever).

The cold filament resistance turned out to be 1 ohm. This seems really low. My bulb will be drawing 120 amps, at least for a few milliseconds until it heats up and the resistance increases! Should I be worried? I live in a big building without circuit breaker access, and I don't want to knock out the power for my neighbors/floor.

Basically, my question is: does standard 120V/20A wiring have provisions for surges in current?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
That's not an uncommon resistance value to find on a higher wattage bulb.

Yes your 20 amp circuits will handle the 1 or 2 cycles that it takes for the bulb to heat up without a problem.

Tekk

Joined Apr 18, 2009
It will be a quite bright lamp, or maybe you plan to put a dimmer on it?
I was going to put a dimmer on it after I verify that the light bulb works and doesn't burn out immediately from air leaking in. :)

Last edited:

Tekk

Joined Apr 18, 2009
I won't - that's why I'm testing it!

Edit: Just tested. It burned out immediately. Probably should have used a variac. My eyes hurt. Thanks everyone. :p

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I won't - that's why I'm testing it!

Edit: Just tested. It burned out immediately. Probably should have used a variac. My eyes hurt. Thanks everyone. :p
Why would you even mess with it? Did you really expect that light bulb to maintain a vacuum after 100 years? It was a collectors item and now I am sure you have reduced it's value because of the lose of the filament.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Why would you even mess with it? Did you really expect that light bulb to maintain a vacuum after 100 years? It was a collectors item and now I am sure you have reduced it's value because of the lose of the filament.
Who collects light bulbs? :rolleyes:

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Rats,

I was just testing one to warn you.:(

This 500 watt bulb is over 3 ohms.

It must have been really large watt or most likely a low voltage bulb.

Did it say on the bulb 120v and 300 watt? Doesn't make sense.

Attachments

Tekk

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Rats,

I was just testing one to warn you.:(

This 500 watt bulb is over 3 ohms.

It must have been really large watt or most likely a low voltage bulb.

Did it say on the bulb 120v and 300 watt? Doesn't make sense.
Yeah, it came in a box with a sticker that said 120v and 300w. No big deal. It wasn't worth anything anyway.

I didn't really expect it to hold up after 100 years of sitting in storage....