Unobtainable fan. Searched for hours.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
In allelectronics.com catalog see 2 Igloo fans, 6100 CUV PWM, & 7321 (E), $ 7.95, $ 6.75.; maybe for parts if nothing else?

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
Still waiting to hear back from igloo which is owned by Curtis Intl. now. According to the rep I talked to, they won't sell the fans or gaskets for "liability reasons". He didn't like when I told him that Coleman and koolatron sell theirs. Should hear back by Monday or Tuesday. We'll see. This could be the last igloo product I buy though. Think my next cooler will be either Coleman or koolatron, never really had a problem getting parts from them. Even parts they don't sell, If talked to the right people could get them. Curtis is tight with their junk.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Lots of companies build in obsolescence. Not surprised to hear your cooler went bad after a few months of service. But one has to wonder if it was abused somehow. Maybe it was hooked up to a faulty supply. Just guessing.

My mother-in-law bought a GE Smart Washer. It had on board diagnostics built in. With light use and infrequent use the "Mode Shift Coil" went bad. So I called them. They WON'T sell just the coil. They'll happily sell me the whole mechanism at $135.00 and all I have to do is remove the entire system and install the new one.

So I decided to open the coil myself and see what was up. NOTHING was wrong with the coil except a 10¢ fusible link. Went to Radio Shack and bought a new link - one better suited for the load and installed it. It's been working perfectly ever since. AND I didn't have to change all the guts at a cost of $135.00. Rather, it cost me less than $2.00 at Radio Shack.

Sometimes "Unrepairable" things just have to be repaired. Sometimes scrap is a better option. But then it would have cost over $500 to replace the washer with a comparable machine.

I'm not surprised to hear Igloo has adopted this stand. "Liability" is always a great excuse for not supporting their product. I don't think anyone has ever been injured from a 12 volt shock. Their "Liability" excuse is just a convenient way of shutting you off from parts. But look at the bright side: Do you want to do all that work replacing the fan with an Igloo part only to have it last another four months? I would be VERY upset if that were to happen to me.

My advice: Bodge something in there that moves air. That's all the fan does. Grab a motor out of an old tape deck. An old printer. A CD player. An old computer fan. MAKE it fit. You have nothing to loose.

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
Lol, what I did was rip a standard 120mm fan from an old PC apart, pulled the internals out and put it in the "igloo only" fan. Works great. However, I have their 40 quart model that does need new fan blades, so if I get a replacement from them, I'll just put it on that one. What I can't get is, the 40 quart and 28 use the same peltier module. 40 gets below freezing where the 28 only gets to mid 30s. Only difference I can see is, the 40 has the same style fan inside and out just different sizes. The 28 has a squirrel cage type inside. Maybe the squirrel fan doesn't have the cfm needed?

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
But the liability sketch is just a nice way to say, "You bought it, it broke, its your problem now." Which is fine. I just won't buy an igloo, rca, or Sylvania product again since they're all owned by the same company. Sad all these reputable companies are now junk names.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I have two igloo electric coolers that need fans. They're 12vdc and not the typical PC fan type. They pull air in the blow out to the side with the blades vertical and a skeleton type mounting frame. Called igloo and of coarse they won't sell them. Anyone have any idea where I can get them? The model printed on them brings up an axial box type. Thanks.
Can you identify the fan's manufacturer and go to their site and search?

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
According to a igloo warranty rep, instead of sending a $10 fan, they're sending a whole new unit instead. Which works for me as this ones been losing cooling power. This one turned out to be a lemon...