Unobtainable fan. Searched for hours.

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
I have two igloo electric coolers that need fans. They're 12vdc and not the typical PC fan type. They pull air in the blow out to the side with the blades vertical and a skeleton type mounting frame. Called igloo and of coarse they won't sell them. Anyone have any idea where I can get them? The model printed on them brings up an axial box type. Thanks.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have two igloo electric coolers that need fans. They're 12vdc and not the typical PC fan type. They pull air in the blow out to the side with the blades vertical and a skeleton type mounting frame. Called igloo and of coarse they won't sell them. Anyone have any idea where I can get them? The model printed on them brings up an axial box type. Thanks.
From that written description, I am sure half the people here can quote model number, manufacturer, retailer and price. Me, on the other hand I find photos to communicate much better than the 10-word description of your fan.

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
Very close. That is a double poll motor. This one has two separate motors. Might could get away with that but can't tell from the picture.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
I have several different sizes of those fans salvaged from Epson? LCD projectors. Perhaps their service department can match one with needed dimensions, if you cannot repair/lubricate yours back to life. Hint: remove its label and apply one drop of automotive transmission fluid.
Laptops use tiny, tiny ones too.

----> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=plastic+12v+centrifugal+fan&t=canonical&iax=1&ia=images
----> http://www.dx.com/p/plastic-cooling-fan-for-electronics-diy-black-dc-12v-128229#.V4zdq6dq3WU

Found them on a search that took longer to type than getting the results. They are very obtainable.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Was the 'Pop' in the motor or controller, you can test the motor if it is a P.M. motor such as a DC or BLDC by back feeding the motor and measure the voltage on the leads, DC will be a DC voltage BLDC will be 3ph AC.
Also short the leads together and spin the motor hard and it should feel it is being braked.
Max.

Cruiseomatic88

Joined Jun 30, 2014
The controller is in the motor under the blades. The koolatron is just like mine but mine is single shaft with four mounting holes. Haven't had a chance to test or pull apart the motor. Took the stickers off to remove the blade but it looks made together.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
That is a rotary impeller, a form of a squirrel cage fan. It's main characteristics are1) the air exit direction is 90 degrees from the intake direction; 2) relatively high performance (CFM per motor watt) in high back-pressure applications.

Have you contacted the manufacturer about spare parts?

ak