Unlatch single coil 5v Relay and control it with Arduino

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by markymul, Mar 25, 2014.

1. markymul

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 25, 2014
    I'm trying to turn on my radio by sending a pulse from my arduino to a latching relay. The radio is powered by a 9volt battery. So basically I want the arduino to send a pulse to the relay which will make the relay latch and thus turn the 9volt battery on.

The Relay I am using is the Omron G6EU-134p. It is a 5v single coil latching relay. At the moment there is a connection between pins 7 and 12 but I do not know how to make this unlatch and therefore make a connection between pins 7 and 10?

I don't know how to unlatch the relay and I'm unsure as to how I should build this circuit? ie should pin 12 of the relay go to the 9v radio battery & pin 10 to gnd? Please see attatched pin layout of the relay.

Thanks in advance,
  2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Reverse polarity for latch/unlatch. (set/reset)

What made you choose this relay?

Dual coil set/reset seems a better choice.
    Or even a standard relay.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You cannot power a relay straight from the arduino either.. The pins cannot provide enough current. You need to construct a relay driver with a transistor or mosfet or optocoupler.
    Personally I would just use a regular relay and not a latching one too.

And all you would need to do is cut the red wire from the battery to the radio.. Then attach the one cut end to pin 7 and the other cut end to pin 12.. thus breaking the power circuit with the relays contacts.