Universal PIC programmer project RECOMMENDATIONS please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rodrossuk, Jul 7, 2013.

1. rodrossuk

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    I am just getting back building small projects .......

Can any kind persons please recommend the way to go with the most flexible PIC programmer I could build ?

TIA

rod

2. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I built the PIC Replicator many years ago but... oh! I was about to reccomend the one you could buy.

Sorry.

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Go for the pickit 2, or pickit 3 programmer, there are cheaper copies on Ebay. As for projects depends on which pic chip your playing with..

projects

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    BUY a PICkit 3. For a cheaper alternative BUY a PICkit 2.

Do not build a programmer as you will find you will need another programmer to finish it.

My 2 cents

5. Stuntman

Mar 28, 2011
    +1 to the numerous suggestions for PicKit 2 and 3.

EEVBlog did a pretty extensive piece on the pitfalls of the PK3.

The lack of features, however, becomes a moot point if your mcu isn't supported by the old PK2. As much as I miss the standalone programmer and small but time-saving features of the PK2, most of my new designs use a PK3 as I've run into a fair number of newer chips not supported by PicKit2.

6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Besides that there was a reply from Microchip, did they address any of those pitfalls?

Expecting to buy one in the near future.

7. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    I've got a PK2, PK3 and Junebug (PK2).

I'm currently using MPLABX on a Mac, the PK2 for a number of older PICs work but isn't recommended by Microchip. The PK3 works fine.

That said, if you're running Windows the PK2 stand alone programming tool's software .dat file can be unofficially updated to support most of the PIC micro line. You can then use the AutoWrite feature to watch whenever a new .hex file is created and program the target with PICs that aren't officially supported like the 18F46K22

On the cheap, IMHO my Junebug Lite design will give the OP an excellent tool to get started, many folks have hand wired the design and managed to get the bootloader (the hard part) programmed onto a blank 18F2550.

If you can afford it the PK3 will let you program & debug recent PICs, the PK2 has an excellent and very handy Logic tool & UART tool but isn't supported by Microchip any longer.

8. Stuntman

Mar 28, 2011
    The programmer to go has always worked with my version of MPLab, and the LED's I never saw to be an issue. The features that I miss were the auto-power detect, the standalone programmer utility, and the connected PIC readout in MPlab (sounds mundane, but it has been very handy)

As of my last search (a year ago?) the standalone utility had a beta release, but was quite buggy, and I abandoned using it. Perhaps that has come to maturity? (Update: It appears to now be on the Microchip Website under "downloads")

My unit still doesn't have auto-power detect (they allude it to being a potential problem in the Microchip video), and still doesn't list the connected processor in MPLab.

Again, these were not deal-breakers to me, and the new chips needed PK3. Will install and see if the new programming utility works.

9. rodrossuk

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Well I did ask ;)

Many thanks folks ....... me need to have a hard think :rolleyes::confused: