Uninterrupted powersupply

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by shankbond, Jan 11, 2008.

1. shankbond

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 4, 2007
    guys i am facing a problem in my home of power shortage there are regular power cuts of about 10 hours a day,even the batteries are not fully charged up to provide auxiliary power .

Now,my question is:
    Is it possible to charge a battery at half the time required by any means?

i think that by using two inverters or somehow increasing the number of sources ,batteries can be charged faster ,is it possible?if yes then how?

are there other alternative means too?

2. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    It depends. It might be possible, but chances are it will overload the battery. Your UPS should still give you enough time to shutdown your computer. UPSs usually are meant that purpose only.
  3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I think you should buy some kind of generator, so the UPS only powers your devices until the generator starts and takes the load.

This is how it is done at bigger facilites like server housings and such. For example where I work the uptime from fully charged UPSs is about 8 minutes.
  4. h.d

Oct 22, 2007
    i think you need generator because the the power disconnected to long time (hours)
    so the UPS wont give you the needed time
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Your UPS is most probably using a SLA (sealed lead-acid) battery. Charging one of these batteries faster than the specifications allow for is dangerous, and may cause it to rupture or explode. At the very least, battery life will be reduced.

You should consult the battery manufacturer's specifications for your particular SLA cell to determine optimal charging rates.

It IS possible to run your UPS from other 12V lead-acid batteries, such as deep-cycle marine batteries, but they must be used only in well-ventilated areas, as they release oxygen and hydrogen gasses in normal use - the combination is quite explosive.

With the cost of fuel going up, running a generator will be a very expensive option.

Look into alternative power sources; wind, solar, hydroelectric. I have no clue what your area of the planet is like, nor what resource you may have available.
  6. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    NiMH and NiCd can be fast charged, but SLA cannot. It takes a short time at a high current for the plates to saturate, and after that gassing occurs. An explosive situation.