uniform circular motion

Discussion in 'Physics' started by ronn, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ronn

Thread Starter Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Hi Everyone,
    In a uniform circular motion, the acceleration and net force is towards the center, but why does the object dont go to the center if it is accelerating in that direction?
    thanks,
    Ron

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    The force is towards the center because the object moving tends to escape from its circular orbit due to its inertia. This force towards the center is the force which keep the object rotating.

3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The Zen answer is -- it is all about the balance of forces in the universe.

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
  5. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

This is precisely analogous to energy storage in an CL circuit. The acceleration force (EMF) is always at right angles to the current flow (ELI the ICE man) so no energy is dissipated. It's all imaginary!

(Actually, I think imaginary is an unfortunate term, but it's ingrained in our math)

Eric

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It came from pondering the solution to the algebraic equation
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    2. x^2 + 1 = 0
    which has no solution in the domain of real numbers. What would you call it instead, assuming you knew nothing about electrical engineering?

7. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Probably nothing, since I didn't understand imaginary numbers at all until I started playing around with R.F.! :D

8. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

However, I have given the matter some thought over the years. The problem I have with "imaginary" is the subtle implication that such numbers have less of a physical implcation than "real" numbers, which we know is far from the truth. The first time I got knocked on my keister playing with an ignition coil, the "reality" of this "imaginary" reactance was driven home quite soundly!

Maybe our collective brainpower on AAC might come up with a better term than Imaginary! We could all become famous!

Eric

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Again with the "legends in our own minds" theme. Ahh...cha...cha...cha
    Another thread successfully jacked!

10. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    An interesting application of this phenomenon is its ability to permit the calculation of the approximate altitude above the earth that a satellite is likely to be in order to remain in geo-stationary orbit.

11. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Interestingly, this assumes the Earth to be a point source of gravity....a pinhead with the mass of the Earth. Actually LOCAL perterbations of gravity can have significant effects, creating "bumps" in the normal elliptical orbital path. When I worked for the phone company, we had to do a small amount of satellite tracking....I'm glad someone ELSE had to figure out the bumpy data for us!

Eric

12. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    You're right about the variation in gravity. I was mainly interested in showing that the altitude could be estimated using the principle of circular motion.

hgmjr

13. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009