Unexplainable component. What is it?

stian2405

Joined Jan 12, 2013
I've been fixing a stereo amplifier, and i finally found the fault. But i can't seem to understand what component it is, nor how to search the web for it. I've linked the picture.
So if you could help me find out what this is i would be grateful!
Still working on my english, might be some strange sentences. :)

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I've been fixing a stereo amplifier, and i finally found the fault. But i can't seem to understand what component it is, nor how to search the web for it. I've linked the picture.
So if you could help me find out what this is i would be grateful!
Still working on my english, might be some strange sentences. :)
It is two precission .22ohm 5 watt resistors. With very low inductance. The figure on the PCB show how they are connected

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Are you sure it is broken. You have to take it out of the circuit to know for sure. It can be replaced by any low inductance precession 5 watt 0.22ohm resistor pair

stian2405

Joined Jan 12, 2013
Are you sure it is broken. You have to take it out of the circuit to know for sure. It can be replaced by any low inductance precession 5 watt 0.22ohm resistor pair
I took picture of a similar one. The broken one were black. i even opened it and saw that it were burned apart :)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You can use about 2m bell wire + a permanent marker to make a coil. Who cares about inductance at audio frequency of maybe 1uH.

Such a dual precision resistor might be rare + expensive.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
There are two possibilities, either the output pair transistors are shorted, or the speaker output was shorted and this resistor was the weakest point. It´s up to OP to find the fault.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Blown output transistor, likely coupled with a speaker wire short, will take out the emitter balance resistor. The amp needs a proper repair.
I agree. Resistors don't fail catastrophically on their own. Their value may drift, but if they are burnt, it is because they acted like a fuse for another component that went out of control.

K3CFC

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Last edited: