Understanding Where to Learn

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by ~JayK~, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ~JayK~

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Hello,

I am keen to learn the world of basic electronics / programming (don't want to run before I can walk).

Unfortunately, I do not wish to follow the college / degree route - as I simply wish to persue this as a hobby, then possibly move onto more challenging projects when my knowledge grows.

Could you offer someone like myself any info on where to look for sound advice etc - with a view of building my very limited knowledge of programming.

Many thanks for your time here.

Jay

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    A good free online reference for basic electronics is the ebook at www.allaboutcircuits.com.

As for programming, one way to learn programming is to choose a microcontroller to learn and buy a development kit for that microcontroller and use it to learn how to program.

hgmjr

3. ~JayK~

Nov 2, 2008

Hello hgmjr

Thanks for the reply here - truly appreciated!

With refernce to the programming info you have passed over - could I ask what would be a good area to start - (controller etc) and what is a development kit?

Many thanks for your time here.

Jay

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    You may want to take a look at PIC microcontrollers by Microchip (www.microchip.com) and AVR microcontrollers by ATMEL (www.atmel.com).

These are two of the most popular microcontrollers currently on the market.

As for a development kit, there are several from which to choose. A lot depends on how much money you have budgeted to spend to get started.

hgmjr

5. ~JayK~

Nov 2, 2008
    Hi

I am trying to make a lighting project using LEDs, which I can turn on and off in phased periods.
    There will be different colours, that I would like to control indipendantly - with a possible LED or touch screen display as the main control panel later on (when my experience is a lot better).

Where do I start looking for development kits for this type of idea?

Many thanks

Jay

6. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I understand that you are starting from no experience.

I would take a look at this AVR development kit. What I like about this kit is that it has 8 pushbutton switches, 8 LEDs, and a spare RS-232 port for use in development process. It can handle development on all but a small number of the AVR devices.

This kit together with a 10 to 12 volt power supply will get you the hardware you need to get started.

The software can be downloaded free. www.atmel.com has AVRSTUDIO4 software development program. www.sourceforge.net has WINAVR C-compiler that is downloadable for free.

hgmjr

7. ~JayK~

Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks hgmjr

I have been reading the Microsoft book on Visual Basic at the moment - as I am trying to find a way to link a UI touch screen to control a PLC. I want to build a unit that will control lighting / level sensors / temperature etc.

I know it's a tall statement - but I am keen to learn how to do this as it is for an in house project I have.

Regds

Jay

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  9. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    I'd start with the ARRL Handbook for the electronics fundamentals. Then get thyself to a Linux machine and start picking apart some of the source code. I know of no better way to learn C++ than to look at some actual working code!

Eric

10. ~JayK~

Nov 2, 2008

Thanks for the feedback guys, truly appreciated!

Jay