Understanding Syntax

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by jfeeney, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jfeeney

Thread Starter Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I have the PICKit 2 Express Debug. I am using MPLab and the compiler is set to MPASM toolsuite (when I look in "Select Language ToolSuite". Kit comes with PIC16F887

Can anyone tell me where I can get a pdf Reference Manual for understanding the proper syntax.

For instance in the HelloWorld example (example 1) the program ends with a GOTO $ ; program will wait here. I have never seen a GOTO $. Most of my programming background is Microsoft visual C# or Microsoft Visual Basic.

And in the second example words such as "decfsz".

Should I search the internet for PIC16F887 syntax?? or PIC16F887 instruction set?? or is there a major grouping that the PIC16F887 fits into such as Mid-range MCU's (I seen that term in another webpage).

Thanks for giving me some direction

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  3. jfeeney

Thread Starter Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I was just returning to say that I had found the first link -- to the Microchip Document DS41291E.

I had printed out pages 233-243 which goes over the 35 instruction set.

I still don't understand "GOTO $" -- how that works

4. Howard Atwell

Jun 13, 2007
    Hi,

The goto is just an unconditional jump (you probably figured that much out) and the $ means the current location. So essentially the instruction loops on itself or, in other words, halts execution. Rather common in microcontrollers.